Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DETA and IPV6

Glockers
Growing in Experience

DETA and IPV6

I have a few DETA Connectgrid plug ends installed on some electrical towels rails. They have worked fine up until I change internet provider to Telstra. After wasting several hours trying to re-connect using the online help I rang them and was told that Connectgrid doesn't support IPV6 and they have no plans to do so.

Unfortunately the rest of the world has moved or is moving to IPV6 which means that the whole DETA range is pretty much useless.

Do you have any suggestions? Returning these would require me to get an electrician back to uninstall them...

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DETA and IPV6

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Glockers. I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've experienced with your Grid Connect device.

Most routers that operate on IPV6 also operate with IPV4 due to the many products that are still produced today using IPV4. By default, it sounds like your router is configured for IPV6 and can't see the IPV4 devices.

Have you spoken with Telstra about this? You'll likely need to manually add the device's MAC/IP addresses and identify them as IPV4 in your router's settings so it knows which protocol to use for them. Here are the directions for setting up an IPV4 device on a Telstra modem.

I'm just waiting to hear back from the Grid Connect team to find out if you can identify the IP address of the plug adaptors. Also just to confirm, you've tried the suggestions and made the adjustments for connecting to a Telstra Smart modem in the Grid Connect troubleshooting section?

Let me mention our Grid Connect guru @CSParnell to see if he can share his thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Glockers
Growing in Experience

I tried all the suggestions I saw but then I rang Gridconnect helpline and they got me to do an IPV6 test and when it was confirmed they said it won't work no matter what we try. They said I could return it to Bunnings which isn't possible as an electrician has already installed them. They also said I could contact Telstra and get them to change my router out for an IPV4. Neither suggestion is useful.

I can set up an IPV4 channel in principle but without "ProtocolDestination port and Destination IP address for the forward" I cannot complete the steps.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Glockers

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble connecting your DETA plugs. I suggest trying this method to link up your DETA gear, have a look if your old modem can be converted into an access point or wifi extender. If it has that function you can directly plug it into your new modem. Your old modem has the old stacked system where IPV4 and IPV6 work in tandem. Link the DETA gear to the old modem and your old modem will do the rest and communicate to the new modem via the ethernet cable.

There are dozens of tutorials online on how to convert old modems to wifi extenders. Just make sure to indicate the make and model of your modem when you look for the conversion process online. Please make sure to place your old modem as far away as possible from the new modem so that their signals don't interfere with one another.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Glockers
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the suggestion but having a “smart home” where I need lots of different boxes cluttering up the space is counterintuitive. Maybe Gridconnect can join the 21st century. BTW, I looked at their Developers Forum and there is a post from 2009 stating that IPV6 was the standard to work to going forward. If you do the maths that is 13 years…

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hey @Glockers 

I know the Telstra smart modems require the following done to them as below.

The other option If no joy download Tuya Smart or Smart Life app both are Tuya products which is the parent of Grid Connect App, and I believe they accept the IPv6 protocol, you will need to reflash your devices into the app.

Worth a try anyways.

Let me know how you go.

Screenshot_20220920-183853_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220920-184836_Chrome.jpg

Carl

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hey @Glockers did u have any luck at all with below with suggestions?

Glockers
Growing in Experience

Tried the 2.4 option but no go. Gridconnect support confirmed this wouldnt work. Will try the Tuya option - thanks. By reflash I assume you mean reset to factory settings and add to Tuya app?

Glockers
Growing in Experience

Will try the Tuya suggestion. Nothing else has worked so far and I am not trying the seperate IPV4 router suggestion.

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@Glockers you don't need to reset it just exit out of Grid Connect then open up Tuya and then click on  the plus symbol to add a product and follow the instructions, all the information will come across into Tuya.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects