Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY cement pots

JI
Cultivating a Following

DIY cement pots

Hi, I'd like to make some planter pots and after looking up a few instructions, I notice quick set concrete and cement being used alternatively. Which one do you use? I was planning to use GP concrete and another post said make sure after removing the mold 24 hours later, the pot is kept damp for a week. Is this required? 

Could someone suggest what to use to make concrete planter pots that won't crack easily and won't be a problem for growing succulents. Many thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY cement pots

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JI. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

To start with I just wanted to make sure you knew concrete has small pieces of aggregate/stones in it. If you didn't want to see any texture like the stones in the pots then you can use cement. I can't see a significant difference in using a quick set vs normal concrete. One just sets up faster than the other. You might like to start off by experimenting with Australian Builders 20kg Quick Set Concrete as you will be able to create pots within several hours which will give you an instant appreciation of what's involved.

Keeping concrete damp during the hardening process is called moist curing. Concrete doesn't harden from drying, it obtains its strength from a chemical process which is active whilst the concrete is damp. If you have some thin sides to your pot I could see moist curing assisting with the overall strength of the pot.

I'd recommend using Dingo 20kg Hi-Strength Concrete for this project if you want a pot that won't crack easily. The concrete will take a few weeks to reach ultimate hardness but will be twice as strong as normal concrete. It is also designed to give a smooth surface finish.

You might be interested in checking out the very popular discussion: D.I.Y. concrete vase by @hannah. You should also find this step-by-step tutorial helpful: How to make a concrete planter.

Remember to include drainage holes in the bottom of your pots. Succulents don't appreciate constantly wet roots.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects