Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY wooden block lamp for decorative light bulbs

AnitaH25
Having an Impact

DIY wooden block lamp for decorative light bulbs

There are so many decorative light bulbs available to buy now that look so awesome when switched on but once the lampshade is added the effects are lost. I made this block lamp so the effects could be seen when in use.wooden lamp.jpg

I made my wooden block out of scraps of wood glued together to make a chunky block. Once the glue was dry I cut the wood using a table saw to the size I wanted.  When I was happy with the size I cut some grooves into the block using the table saw for a more decorative look. I use all recycled materials for my projects so if you want to know how to find them check out my post how to get your DIY materials for FREE .Wooden block lamp (7).jpg

I only wanted the light bulb to stick out of the block and all the fittings would be hidden inside the block. If I had the correct size spade bit it would have been so easy just to drill out the centre hole for the fittings.

20180203_144137.jpg

But I only had the correct size in a hole saw. I cut down as far as I needed with the hole saw first. Then used the biggest spade bit I had to remove as much of the middle as I could, and used a hammer and chisel to remove the rest.20180203_144447.jpgI drilled a hole big enough for the electrical cord to fit in and chiselled out a groove for the cord so it would sit flush on a table.  I used a round file to clean up the groove.

20180203_151014.jpg

The hole was routered out for a nicer look and the block was sanded smooth. I also remove all the corners with the router for a softer look.20180203_153657.jpg

I stained the wood using a cedar stain and added 2 coats of clear gloss varnish.

20180203_153818.jpg

I stained the wood using a cedar stain and added 2 coats of clear gloss varnish.8.jpg

They look great with all the new decorative light bulbs.  

Beckett
Just Starting Out

Re: DIY wooden block lamp for decorative light bulbs

Is the fitting Edison screw or bayonet cap?
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Beckett and a very warm welcome to the Workshop community.

Let me tag @AnitaH25 so she is alerted to your question.

Are you planning on building your own?

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house and garden. We have clever and creative members sharing helpful advice and inspiring projects on the site every day.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Prof
Becoming a Leader

Very clever and very nicely done.😄 The block effect unit  looks to be quite small..

That same block effect only larger, would make some nice bedside lamps!

Could be either.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects