Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do I need to sand a new door before painting?

jamieyoung
Finding My Feet

Do I need to sand a new door before painting?

Gday guys

Just a quick question here, I purchased a new door from bunnings a few months ago, one which has the four small lengths of frosted glass, as in the photos... Anyway the green surface that is on this door does it need to be sanded back? Primed? Or can a dulux Aquanamel paint be applied straight onto the "green" surface?

Also, is the british paints paint and prime a sealant aswell as a primer?

16511437211937547988376241565215.jpg

16511435905895054802584247114972.jpg

brendawebster44
Making a Splash

Re: Do I need to sand a new door before painting?

DB9EFAF8-3690-485C-A146-2AE78A6F8E42.jpeg

Hello Jamie, I hope I can help in a small way.After a few quotes for a painter I decided to do it myself. The staff at Bunnings were so very helpful and taught me a lot about time saving and different products. I will. take a guess and say the green colour you mention is a protective coating given to new wood before painting or staining. I used British Paint , Paint and Prime . No undercoat ,top coat or raincoat haha.

You can ask Bunnings to mix your desired colour.Before you start just give a dust to the door and a light sand.Then go for it, I wish you all the best brenda 🌺

Re: Do I need to sand a new door before painting?

Hello @jamieyoung

It's great that you've received some good advice from @brendawebster44. That green coat you're asking about is actually primer already painted on the door. Which technically makes it ready for painting, however, I often recommend that the surface be lightly sanded. There's no need to remove the green primer on the door. 

However, you'll notice that the green surface does not cover the window edges and outer edges of the door. If you were to paint this with the British paint and prime it would perfectly be fine. Just make sure that the paint you're using is rated for exterior use. If you decide to use the Dulux Aqaunamel you'll need to prime all the exposed timber that is not green. 

The paint you've chosen is perfect for this project. To answer your question, yes the British Paint and Prime is an all in one product. There is no need to prime the door as the primer is already mixed in with the paint.   

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects