Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Drop-down sewing table

Gareth
Building a Reputation

Drop-down sewing table

IMG_3849.jpgIMG_3848.jpgMy wife asked for a sewing table so after some discussion on what she needs, I started this week end to make a drop down sewing table with storage. as you may see I used the Kreg screws joints as I wanted to try them so I brought the kit and the wood from Bunnings.

IMG_3814.jpgnot totally finished but I am happy with it so far.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: drop down sewing table

Hello @Gareth 

Welcome to workshop! That is a fantastic idea for a drop down sewing table. The idea to put a mirror on it is truly inspired and makes that drop down panel do double duty instead of just being a plain old boring panel. Plus its an excellent opportunity to not only procure a new tool for the shop but it gives you the opportunity to do more! Just to show our readers the KREG pocket hole jig is a fantastic tool and allows you to build like the pros! Excellent build all around. I'm sure the missus will be very happy with her new sewing table.

Cheers,

Red

Screenshot_2021-03-07 Kreg Pocket Hole Jig 310.png

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Gareth
Building a Reputation

5E5F8938-400E-4E1D-970D-FED9F541CE04.jpeg

 I use the Kreg tool,but mine is the double, it’s the first time I used it, very easy to use and thank you for your comments 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

What a brilliant project @Gareth! I think you've really nailed the design spec with this one, or perhaps I should say you've Kregged it. I'll have to look at getting one of these jigs myself as I've only heard good things about them. The finish you've achieved with it is enviable.

Have you had any feedback from your wife on the build and how the unit performs?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@redracer01 @Gareth @MitchellMc 

I know this post is a few years old now, but I've been trying to get some ideas for something similar to make for my daughter.  As they live in a small home and she has to use the kitchen table, like many of us starting out.  

I came across this post and just think it's perfect.  I am wondering if there is some way to hide the hinges?  Possible have them on the inside?  Are there different hinges that I could possibly use to create something along these lines?

I've never been great at fitting hinges, I always seem to make a bit of a mess - but would like to create something along these lines.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also how is the leg support fitted?  I was toying with creating something that also hinged at the top of the fold down front, that actually dropped down and became the support leg..  just a thought.

Once again awesome work @Gareth  I'm sure your wife has had great use out of this since you created it for her, I know I would..

Cheers

This Oldgal

Hi @Old-gal24,

It would be a little more difficult to conceal the hinges. They'd need to be rebated into the bottom edge of the fold-down section and the carcass.

Having a fold-down leg would also be a neat solution. As the table is lowered down it would fold out for easy positioning. Hopefully, @Gareth can fill us in on how the leg is fixed in place on their project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc 

Thank you for your reply.  I was thinking much the same..

:smile:

Gareth
Building a Reputation

@Old-gal24 

I had to fit the hinges like this as the wife wanted to us the whole length wit no step down, the hinges could be done different for sure, with the leg I had to use one that we screw in as again the wife want the full length mirror and did want a leg dropping down in front of the mirror. I brought the leg and bracket from Bunnings of coarse.

I hop this helps and thank you so much for liking my little project and the wife is happy so happy life 

Thank you Gareth, much appreciated.

Oldgal

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects