Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dulux Tranquil Retreat colour looks more blue than grey

projectmumdanni
Making a Splash

Dulux Tranquil Retreat colour looks more blue than grey

20220318_155629.jpg

20220318_155625.jpg

Has anyone else's looked more blue then grey? Don't get me wrong it is still nicer then the original colour of house 😂😂 Am wondering if I do the front door ironstone, it will make it more blue even more. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Dulux Tranquil Retreat

Hi @projectmumdanni

Unfortunately, my monitor is showing your wall as white instead of grey which is a worry. However, I'm familiar with Dulux Ironstone and your hunch is correct. Dulux Ironstone has a strong shade of dark blue. I recommend considering Monument as an alternative as it has deep greys in it. There is also Dulux Domino and Basalt. But I always recommend looking at the colour cards before making your choice. 

There is the possibility that the sun is hitting your wall in a particular way that is enhancing the blue tint in it. I suggest having a look at early morning and lunchtime when the sun is at its brightest. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric. I will have another look when the the sun is out. My pictures do look more white then a light blue..sorry about that. When we held the colour card up to it, it actually is lighter. But the colour in the bucket looks grey like the colour card.

i am wondering if i would be able to take the paint bucket back to bunnings and ask them to put more tint in it? 

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi @projectmumdanni,

There is always a possibility that the colour is off. However, your perception of Tranquil Retreat is being manipulated since it's sitting next to the previous heavy ochre based paint. Once you paint the whole area and there is no creamy coloured paint to compare it to, the blue will be less noticeable.

Colour is a funny thing, and our perception of a colour is heavily influenced by those around it. For instance, I chose half-strength Antique White U.S.A to paint my daughter's room since it's a nice bright white paint. If you observe a colour card by itself, you can hardly detect the ochre content. It looked great on the walls until I painted the ceiling in a plain vivid white. Then, suddenly, the walls looked like a cream colour and not even close to what I had expected. So much so that I thought they might have tinted it wrong to Antique White which is a traditional creamy coloured paint.

Here's an example of how colour can trick the eyes. The three squares below that I've highlighted are all the exact same colour. The surrounding colour and the shadow influence our perception of them. I've sampled each of the colours and dragged them out to the right to illustrate.

In answer to your question, I'm sure one of our helpful team members would be happy to try and assist you with additional tint. It becomes tricky as since you've already used some paint from the tin, we can't use formulas to adjust the colour. It's a matter of adding additional tints and checking to see the results.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks heaps for your information Mitchell..explains my situation in more depth. Today we painted the soffit vivid white and the sun isn't so bright and it looks grey.

20220319_165527.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects