Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Easiest way to remove paint from doors with slats?

Aneil
Cultivating a Following

Easiest way to remove paint from doors with slats?

Hey crew!

Any pro tips on how to remove paint from pine doors with slats? The paint's a bit thin and rough with lots of globs and other debris stuck in it.

16710082147161362203911556679061.jpg

16710083390271327284114576636947.jpg

16710083779508220932149136179019.jpg

I was hoping to sand them right back but it's proving to be an issue as the paint melts quickly when hit with the orbital sander. I tried everything from 40-100 Grit sandpaper and multiple speed settings, all with the same result. I think it's too thin for a heat gun and don't think a paint stripper will work (It looks like ceiling white with no undercoat.) 

I'm thinking a 3M sanding disk for the 4" grinder but I'm worried about the damage it will do to the timber + it won't get in between the slats. Is there a thin disk sanding option I could try? 

Any other tips are also appreciated as one door took me 6 hours today. Thanks in advance!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Easiest way to remove paint from doors with slats

Hello @Aneil

Thank you for sharing your louvre door repainting project. I'm afraid you've covered most of the recommendations I was about to give regarding removing the paint. In regards to the grinder disk, I don't recommend using it as it will eat into the timber. As an alternative, I suggest trying the ScotchBrite Paint & Rust Stripper Disc 101mm. This is a nylon-based abrasive web that strips paint off wood and steel. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your doors ready for painting.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Aneil
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Eric. 

Went with your advice and got the scotchbrite pad for the drill instead of the grinder. Does a good job. Scratches up the timber a bit but nothing the sander can't handle. Down to about 1.5 hours a door. Got a pack of Craftright 50mm discs as well, for in between the slats, but it's too time consuming. Im just going to scuff em up by hand; prime and paint. 

Thanks again for your advice @EricL 

16710808483787486544494133189256.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Aneil

It's good to hear that you've reduced the sanding time to 1.5 hours. I'm very keen to see what colour you'll be putting on these louvre doors. Please make sure to post a picture once you've finished painting them.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects