Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Easy console table/unit made using pallet timber

sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

Easy console table/unit made using pallet timber

This console unit is made with 100% recycled pallet wood. 

AC424F6C-9468-4464-B24C-E54DC0B3F8BD.jpeg

 I started with glueing 4 pallet wood timber x 2,  together and allowing to dry for 24 hours. This will vary depending on the width of your unit. This will create the console shelves. While this dries, Cut down pallet wood to 25mm strips and sand lightly. 

B1DF93D7-E866-4292-8867-D8BAA0674773.jpeg

 on a piece of paper, I drew the profile for the sides in a oval shape and cut of the ends with a jigsaw. For this self, the space between the two panels was 500mm. The 25mm thin wood was also cut to this size. I used nails to attach the strips to both panels, allowing a 25mm spacing between each strip. 

DAE6D0E8-AEE6-4B0C-A5DE-DF1FDE4CEDEE.jpeg

 I originally cut the thin strips to meet the bottom but ended up cutting the flush to the panels. I cut  4x 20x40 wood for the legs and marked them and drilled in place. Once this was all nailed together. I gave it a light sand and stained with rustoleum sage wood stain from Bunnings. 

C9A4B3F4-D14A-4112-AC0D-F518A0C4B529.jpeg

F4BD75A9-C23F-4C3B-959B-C8DB853D2987.jpeg

4C49BA42-0854-4D00-A9D6-30651D37B9A6.jpeg

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Easy console table/unit

Hello @sandy_d 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop and thank you for sharing your amazing creation with us. Let me be the first to say that this is a fantastic build. Those timber pieces probably took some time to cut in such a uniform manner. The fact that you made a curved table instead of a regular rectangled table doubled the difficulty of building it and keeping the spaces uniform between those slats! Do you have any possible tips or advice to those who would be interested in making their own. 

Cheers, 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Amazing work @sandy_d! I particularly like the design you have chosen and think the colour compliments it nicely. 

Did you cut the 25mm slats down on a table saw? I've recently acquired one and was looking for a project to build with it. 

Congratulations on a wonderful result, and many thanks for sharing details of the steps you took to achieve it.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

@redracer01  firstly thank you 😊 To round the table, I drew a template until I was happy with the curve. I measured 200mm from the top of the board and this is where my curve ended. I clamped both boards together and sanded so they would be uniform. I cut 25mm strips of pallet down with the table saw, and equally spaced them with an off cut of timber that was 25mm. I created the opening 250mm from the sides and worked around, nailing top and bottom. 

sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

@MitchellMc @Thank you so much 😊 Yes they were cut on the table saw. I just made sure there were no nails and I chose the best pieces that didn’t have any cracks in them. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects