Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Easy wall hanging for your home

sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

Easy wall hanging for your home

I love changing things up in my home and wall art can be a little expensive, so a DIY was in order. 

D2FE3C91-6C81-41EC-B20B-3093829DBDC4.jpeg

F7BFC9D8-80BE-4EAB-A056-48FD0FEE7DAB.jpeg

For this project you’ll need:

GRUNT 3mm Macrame cord

Half rounded dowel 

Acrylic paint in Black and White  

Hot glue gun 

Scissors 

Spray bottles 

Painters tape  

The project: 

Start by deciding what size you’d like you wall hanging to be and cut the dowel to length. The most time consuming part is cutting all your cords. My wall art sits at 104 x 104 so I cut every length of cord exactly double at 208cm.  

02E3ECFB-F35E-4696-91EB-5F57E0EAA5B0.jpeg
Once you have cut all your cords to your desired length, it’s time to hot glue it. Keep the cords close together while gluing. This will make the mountain design clearer. Fold each cord in half and glue as shown. 

5AA5B4BE-DC88-455F-978B-881BA0279A05.jpeg

 It should look like this when completed. 

2657C87D-9246-4621-8C74-1AA92CE0E015.jpeg

Place your hanging on a flat surface. I clamped mine to an old piece of ply to keep it straight and upright. Straighten the cords and tape the bottom flat. 

It’s now time for the mountain design! Use your tape to create the mountain tops in any shape you like. 

BF29BF5E-E675-459C-A2D9-A019FA997E15.jpeg

3C6E2731-7F6B-430B-A625-DAFF0B6B1838.jpeg

Time for the fun part! Grab your spray bottle and add water and spray the cords. In another bottle, add water and diluted white and black paint. The first mountain tops will be lighter so add more white and a touch of black. Spray the first layer. Add a little more black and repeat the process. 

8D26A030-D1C9-4B94-ACF1-E47F88E7B2FE.jpeg

The tape can be removed once complete. Allow to dry and trim the bottom straight. 

4AE25585-227F-4CC2-A33F-498B24549E3E.jpeg

 Hang and enjoy! 

D8DAF390-B799-4277-BD6E-BD0B6DA582E0.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Easy wall hanging for your home

Lovely work as always @sandy_d and very creative. Thank you so much for sharing. I'm sure this will inspire others.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Looks amazing @sandy_d. I'm a huge fan of wall hangings like this and you've pulled it off so well. Love the ombre effect you've created with paint and water.

Thanks for sharing your materials and process so other members can tackle a similar project. What do you think @KatieC? Another project to add to our macrame wishlist?

Stevie

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Your wall art came out so beautifully! @sandy_d  

Do you remove the straight horizontal lines after you tape up your mountain scene? 

How long for it to dry fully? 

I am excited to give this one a go myself!

Katie

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

@StevieB 

Great minds think alike!

Katie 

sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

@KatieC @I did remove the horizontal tape when I was spraying the bottom section. After it was sprayed, I removed all the tape and sprayed some water in between the layers to allow the above paint to bleed down as it does leave a clean line where the tape was. I hung it on my clothes line and it was dried after an hour. To get a nice straight bottom, I hung it up and taped the bottom straight then cut.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Very clever @sandy_d ! I look forward to creating this on one of our craft days next year :smile:

Katie

sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

@KatieC Can’t wait to see it! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects