Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Electric Hot Water Advice

Tegan_R
Just Starting Out

Electric Hot Water Advice

Hi Workshop Community!

I’m looking for advice as I’ve  just bought an apartment with only single phase electric. It’s in a 3 block complex, with mine being one of 20 apartments. Theres currently on single phase electric from what I can see and I was hoping to get an instant electric tankless Stiebel Eltron system as There’s No gas fitted to the apartment. The whole apartment is a tiny 60sq metre apartment. Kitchen has a 25L water tank (which isn’t even enough for a shower or bath) shoved under the kitchen sink taking up valuable cupboard space. There’s no laundry so can’t install a larger system. Not a single other unit in the complex have water systems installed outside so I can only imagine Strata have said no. Or that external are usually gas only anyway. Again, no gas to complex (built in the 60s/70s). Stiebel Eltron said the single phase wasn’t enough to power a shower (9L/m, is only meant for taps (5L/m). My only option is to upgrade the phase 3. I just have no idea how much that costs/how much I need to save or if there’s other options available that I just don’t know about. 
thanks in advance,

Tegan

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Electric Hot Water Advice

Would you mind posting a photo of your bathroom? I only ask so that I may see if a 50ltr tank will fit in an elevated spot close to your ceiling. You say you have a 25 litre single phase. Perhaps to augment your set up you can install another 25 litre in your bathroom as as a dedicated hot shower tank. The 25ltr are suppose to be able to handle 1 to 2 adults, perhaps the tank is old and is no longer giving out the proper heat. If you wish to see dimensions go to Dux hotwater systems for more info.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Tegan_R,

Many thanks for joining us on Workshop. Great to see you receive prompt assistance. Are you able to share a photo of your bathroom as per @redracer01's request? 

Welcome to the community. Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi there @Tegan_R,I hope you're still with us.

As an Electrician, I would ask the owner of the building about installing one of them instant showers, that only need a cold water supply, to the unit itself.

These need to have an RCD on them, at the very least.

Or upgrade the existing unit in the kitchen, and feed it to the shower, while that would be a very poor solution, it may be all you can get.

We're talking around 4-6kW of heat for a shower, admittedly it is for a short time, but the demand on the supply system to the building needs to be taken into account.

Have you spoken to your neighbours as to what they use?

Any further info you can give us would be awesome.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects