Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Enamel paint tips wanted for painting skirting boards

aly
Making a Splash

Enamel paint tips wanted for painting skirting boards

Hello workshop community! I'm looking for any handy tips when it comes to painting skirting with enamel paint, particularly skirting thats in carpeted rooms. Have tried applying masking tape and pushing it down in between the skirt and carpet but have found some minor leaks, and also when the tape is removed, the paint comes up off the skirt. More than aware this may be user error by me but would love any handy tips and tricks :smile:

TheRenoDad
Having an Impact

Re: Enamel paint tips wanted for painting skirting boards

Hi @aly 

That sounds like a tricky situation with the carpet.

You could try one of these Steel Edged Trim Guide with a paint as you go approach.

Simply stick it in-between the carpet and the skirting and paint the bottom edge.

I've also seen plasters knifes, trowels and hawks used for the same situation.

FF15748-600mm-Trim-Guide.jpg

Good luck 😊

Luke | @TheRenoDad 

Post may contain sponsored content
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @aly

Thanks for sharing that question about painting your skirting boards. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @TheRenoDad. His recommendation is spot on, I would have suggested the same product (Steel Edged Trim Guide) to help you with your painting project. Another product that I would have suggested using is the Monarch 50mm Cutting In And Framing Synthetic Paint Brush. It's specifically designed for cutting in, the angled brush head should make it easier to apply the paint on the skirting board.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your re-painted skirting board.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
brendawebster44
Making a Splash

Hello, I know what you mean about skirting boards. I never use masking tape for the same reason. I sit and look at what I did with just my eye and amaze myself. My friend of 78yrs got that job or I would have paint every where. He said just don’t put too much paint on your brush and stop a few centimetres away from the carpet. You can’t tell or lie on your side and do it that way ha.brenda 

Thanks all for the tips and product recommendations! :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects