Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Flooring recomendation?

carpedion
Cultivating a Following

Flooring recomendation?

Hi all,
I am currently selling my house and have made the snap decision to replace my carpet with some kind of hardfloor with something that looks like timber.

• I need a cheaper option in the shortest possible time (ie up to 3-4 days max, but 1 day or 2 if possible).
  • I am open to vinyl, boards, or something else.
  • I believe I have yellow tongue timber underneath my carpet - in one or two areas it does creak when I walk on it.
  • I need my entrance, hallway, dining and living room done, and it's a 50-year-old solid brick house (pics below).
  • I don't want to do it myself, but rather get someone in. 

Thanks so much!

IMG_7261.PNGIMG_7262.PNGIMG_7256.jpgIMG_7260.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Flooring recomendation?

Hi @carpedion

A quick cheapest fast option would be to recarpet the floor .  or a next option  floating timber floors are often  quite  quick to install.

As your selling the house you  want a quality floor to potentialy add  thousands to your house price put in a  low quality floor  could lose you dollars.

I actually like some of the newer vinal sheet floors i think there quality can be very good but there are people turned  of vinyl as cheap and nasty status. 

But the floating timber floor probable  a reasonable cost option rather than vinyl  planks as they are at similar price any way,

Good  luck  with your sale.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @carpedion,

Let me tag a couple of experienced renovators in @2Belindas and @redbournreno to see what they would do in your situation.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @carpedion 

Thanks for sharing your question about what flooring to use. I suggest having a quick look at these discussions - D.I.Y. hybrid flooring installation by @RAW and Hybrid flooring installation by @WoodenGregsWood. Using hybrid flooring is always a plus as it is 100% waterproof. It has underlay already installed so there is no need to buy extra foam.

It may take the whole four days to install the flooring, but you'll notice the difference immediately. Hybrid flooring is spill proof, does not hold odours like carpets and is easy to clean.   

It all depends on finding an installer who can install it for you based on your timetable. I would probably ask family and friends if they have a floor installer whom they can recommend. You can also try posting the job on Hipages or Airtasker. If you specify the area that needs to be covered and and all the details on what needs to be done, you should get a response.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

carpedion
Cultivating a Following

Hey Eric, thanks for your reply. I've managed to organise a reputable installer from Airtasker who is pulling up the existing carpet and installing hybrid boards for $2550 for 47sm, and it'll apparently only take him 1 day (which may bleed into a second day). 

Thanks for your advice here. 

Dion

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @carpedion 

That's great to hear. Please remember to post an update once the floor has been installed. I'm sure our members will be keen to see the transformation of the room.

Eric

carpedion
Cultivating a Following

Before and after photos. Cost me $2550 to have 47m² of carpet ripped up and Hybrid boards installed (in dining, living and hallway and entrance). All done in one day! Looks incredible! 

2023-12-04 09.09.18.jpg

Looks terrific @carpedion. Maybe reconsider selling?

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects