Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fly Screen for windows

bm
Cultivating a Following

Fly Screen for windows

Hello Good Morning DIY ers

Hope you all are well.  We have 2 new windows without any mesh and i want to have flyscreens on them. 

one of the windows has this sort of a knob, to open it outwards. 

IMG-9917.jpg

Is this something one could build as a diy and install? 

Does anyone has any experience?

thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fly Screen for windows

Hi @bm,

You'll find constructing flyscreen for this type of window slightly more difficult than a standard window. You'll need to work around the winding mechanism as the bottom ledge is not flat due to its position. If you were to fit a standard screen there will be a gap on either side of the winding mechanism. At my property, someone has pop-rivetted a Metal Mate 20 x 12 x 1.4mm 1m Aluminium Unequal Angle to the bottom of the screen and cut out around the winder to fill the gap. I've included an illustration below of how that would work.

Alternatively, you could create a flyscreen frame that fits around the winding mechanism. You would need additional corner pieces to do the returns around the winder. I haven't personally seen this done before, but I believe it would be possible.

You should find this step-by-step tutorial helpful: How to replace a flyscreen by @Tara86

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bm
Cultivating a Following

Re: Fly Screen for windows

Thanks @MitchellMc  for you help with this. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects