Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Foodsafe varnish for a chopping board?

dprice1
Getting Established

Foodsafe varnish for a chopping board?

Hi, I want to sand back and re-varnish my chopping board.  What product should I use that is safe with foods?

Thanks,

Derek.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Varnish Chopping Board

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Derek (@dprice1). It's wonderful that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about re-storing your chopping board.

It's best to stick away from coatings such as varnishes that sit on the surface of the timber. They'll degrade very quickly and will part ways with the timber into your food. What you need is a food-grade penetrative oil like Gilly's 250ml Chopping Board Oil or Feast Watson 250ml Kitchen Timber Oil. Both are great products and can be buffed to achieve an excellent sheen.

Lightly sand with 180-240 grit sandpaper to remove any marks, scratches and stains. Use a rag to apply the oil generously to the chopping board. After 45-mins, wipe off any residual oil. Over the next few days, you can re-apply additional coats to ensure full penetration and saturation of the timber fibres.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks heaps Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

No worries Derek (@dprice1)! It would be great if you'd like to share some before and after shots with our members.

Mitchell

Before.jpgSanded.jpgFinished.jpgIn use.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Oh wow, Derek (@dprice1)! That's really bought out the beautiful timber grain. I must say, though, if I was on that Zoom call and saw you sitting there with that delightful spread, I'd be just a touch jealous.

What product did you end up using, as I'd love to recommend that again? 

Many thanks for posting the finished product, and well done.

Mitchell

No worries. I used the Gilly's

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects