Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Front door upgrade

Puddin
Building a Reputation

Front door upgrade

Finished door.jpg

Hi All 

I have been debating, some would say procrastinating, for ages what colour to paint the front door so I kept putting it off. Recently I decided on the colour and this week got it finished. 

The glass pattern and screen door and not new I did the glass and had the door made around 4-5 years ago. 

My decision on the door is that I love the way it turned out but hope I dont have to do it again it was fiddly work. Of course my cat decided helping me was the way to go and got paint all over his feet. 

Hope you like it. 

Cheers Ann alias Puddin

front door.jpg Finished door.jpg Door finished with screen.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Front door upgrade

Hello @Puddin 

Thank you so much for sharing that wonderful door repainting project. That colour and finish is just outstanding. Can you please tell us some of the steps you took before you painted the door. Did you take the door off, or did you paint it while still attached to the door frame?

Any other details you can share would be very much appreciated.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Puddin
Building a Reputation

Re: Front door upgrade

Hello @EricL 

Thanks for the great feedback. 

I painted the door while still attached as the thought of taking it off was a bit daunting. 

Taped the lock and door handle, did need to do a little touch up after I took the tape off, will have to work on my taping skills. 

Sanded everything back to pretty much bare wood but in case I missed any bits I did the whole lot with of 2 coats of primer sealer. (can you tell I was hoping to not have to do this again for a very long time?)

The door step I rubbed in a matt stain did 5 coats to get the depth of colour I wanted and then put a matt sealer over it. 

The window and door frame I used a low satin sheen put a couple of coats on them. Then did 3 coats of high gloss on the door. 

While doing this my helper (cat) thought he might explore out the front (he is not allowed out there), after catching him cleaning paint off his feet he got banned from helping and banished to his catio or bedroom. 

Cheers Ann alias Puddin

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects