Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Grid Connect Climate Sensor not able to pair with new plug type hub

squizzydizsee
Finding My Feet

Grid Connect Climate Sensor not able to pair with new plug type hub

I've got an arlec climate sensor that came as part of the smart sensor kit - have misplaced the hub (that was connnected by micro usb cable to power source) from the kit. Bought new kit that comes with button, contact sensor and plug type hub (hub is within a smart power outlet). Are the two not compatible?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Grid Connect Climate Sensor not able to pair with new plug type hub

Hi @squizzydizsee,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us.

Let me tag smart home expert and experienced community member @CSParnell to see if he can quickly answer your question. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL would also be happy to assist as soon as possible.

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project around the house or garden. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @squizzydizsee 

Welcome to the Bunnings community :smile: Pain in the neck way for coming in but I am sure theer will be some ideas on how to solve the issue.

I havnt dealt with the arlec climate sensors before but have dealt with the grid connect power boards. I have had a couple issues with them but when I folowed the steps to redo it all, it worked eventually :smile:

Looking at the info on the Bunnings website it says that you can purchase extra sensors and also extra hubs so I would think they they should be intermixed without an issue.

Some issues I have found but stepped through

I have had to reset my powerboards to get them to tie to the app.

I have had to update the app.

I have had to re-add all the powerboards after not using the app for a period of time. Aslo had to recreate my account.

Do you remember if the old hub looked different to the new hub? As in different models?

Thats about all I can think of that may raise a communication issue.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @squizzydizsee 

Thanks for sharing your question about your grid connect climate sensor. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the Climate sensor and the packaging of the new kit that you purchased. This will give me a better idea of the type of sensor you currently have.

From a connectivity point of view, I propose trying to locate the old sensor using the grid app. Once you've set up the new kit and the hub is up and running, there might be a way to link the old sensor to your new hub. I've only ever done this with camera set ups as I have a collection of old and new cameras in my home. 

Let me call on our Grid guru @CSParnell for his recommendations.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

17030562249511653546176385930207.jpg

 Temperature & Humidity Sensor (from Smart Sensor kit)

17030563110763043144178925292321.jpg

 new plug type hub from home control kit (old one looked more like the Sensor above and was charged via Micro USB port]

Note that I can add the Sensor to.the app, but can't link it it to the hub in the app.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @squizzydizsee 

Thanks for posting those pictures of your sensor and hub. Let me get in touch with our supplier and see if they can link your sensor to the new hub. As soon as I have more information, I'll let you know.

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @squizzydizsee 

I've just been in contact with the Arlec technical team. I'm sorry but the devices are not compatible, and you'll need to either find the missing hub or purchase a new hub which is similar to the original one. I've asked if there was work around for the old and new devices and they unfortunately said no. It will be necessary to have the hub in order for the devices to communicate with each other.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know. 

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects