Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Gyprock on ceiling, how to?

NickW
Just Starting Out

Gyprock on ceiling, how to?

Hi All

Not sure if anyone has any experience for this. I am renovating my bathroom and just took off older plaster board. It is the old type frame timber and plaster board which has a lot twine in it. The plaster board was attached by some nails and plaster with twine.

The big question is about ceiling. Underneath the ceiling stud, a lot of small timber attached to it and the plaster board was nailed/adhesive to those small timber. 

What should I do now? Attach the new Boral gyprock to those small timber with screw and glue or take off all small timber and attach gyprock to ceiling stud?

Many thanks1111.jpg2222.jpg 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Gyprock on ceiling, how to

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @NickW. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about plasterboard installation.

It would be best to check the installation requirements for the product you're using. I'll include an excerpt below. Those timber batons attached to the trusses (ceiling stud) are there to fix your plasterboard into. There wouldn't be adequate fixing locations for the sheets if you were to remove them as the trusses are too far apart. How far apart are the batons at the moment? They look to be around 600mm. If so, it might be worth pulling them off and adding additional batons, so they are spaced 450mm apart. This ensures there is no sagging of the sheets between their fixing points.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: Gyprock on ceiling, how to?

Hi @NickW,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop.

I'm not sure if I'm imagining this but in that first picture, there is a really dodgy looking electrical joint in them cables?

You need to have an Electrician fix this up and clip the cables in place before the ceiling joists/runners get installed.

Flying splices anywhere in a house is just not done and are a fire risk.

If you need any further advice, let me know.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Hi Mitchell are you able to provide me with the dimensions and wood type (treated/untreated) of the timber batons you mentioned as I have a need to purchase some from Bunnings. Thanks

Cheers

Phantom

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Phantom

I suggest looking at the existing battens that are currently attached to your ceiling and measuring their height and width. The timber batten sizes range from 40mm x 18mm all the way to 90mm x 45mm. I suggest getting treated framing timber only. It's important to match what you have otherwise, you'll have uneven battens which will make the installation of the ceiling gib uneven.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Hi Eric thankyou very much for your continuing assistance, it is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Phantom

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Phantom

If you have any other questions you would like to ask, please don't hesitate to post them. I'm sure our members will be more than happy to provide advice and information. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your ceiling repaired.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects