Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help! Roof fascia falling down!

DIYnewbies
Finding My Feet

Help! Roof fascia falling down!

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and would love to get some advice on how to fix my roof fascia that seems to be falling down. I think it's caused by some house movement, because I noticed it got marginally worse after we had that little earthquake in Melbourne a few months back.

Is this a DIY job, or should I get professionals to come in? Scared it might get worse. here are some photos. I've used tape to hold it up as a temporary fix. Thanks !

IMG_20211214_172804740.jpg

IMG_20211214_172749000.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: help! roof fascia falling down!

Hello @DIYnewbies

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's superb to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your roof fascia falling down.

The earthquake could be a possible reason and your fascia nails may have come loose causing the cover panel to drop. On the condition that this is not related to any form of water or moisture damage, you can fix this yourself. Look carefully at your fascia cover panel. You will notice that it has been nailed in certain spots. Those spots that they are nailed into are part of the roofing frame. I recommend using Paslode 30 x 2.8mm 500g Galvanised Fibre Cement Nails - 300 Pack.

The number one thing to remember is when you are nailing it back on, make sure that there is a timber piece behind it. You can then use Taubmans 250ml Sample Pot White to paint over the nailheads. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your fascia repaired.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.   

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: help! roof fascia falling down!

Thanks so much Eric! I'm going to give this a go during the Christmas break! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects