Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help me repurpose my TV unit to build a shelving unit

nirmal1988
Cultivating a Following

Help me repurpose my TV unit to build a shelving unit

I purchased a TV Unit set online.

Unfortunately, when it arrived the top piece (where the TV sits) was broken and I was provided a replacement of the whole unit and they never bothered to get the old one.

So, I have couple of 180x45 panels, which I want to reuse to build a standing shelf. From the website, the material of the panel is said to be manufactured timber.

My plan is to have these as the sides of my shelf (vertical), So what I need now is - a base, a top, a middle section (all of them horizontal) and a backing to cover the whole selfing unit.

I have never done any sort of carpentry DIY before, naturally, I have a few queries:

1. I am not sure what sort of panels should I buy to make my horizontal sections.

2. I roamed around my local Bunnings, I could see laminated pines, MDFs, particle boards
- None of them are in the dimensions I need. I am looking for 100X45.
Can the MDFs and particle boards be cut into dimensions I need?, or should I only go with pines ?

3. Will Bunnings cut my panels into dimensions I need ?, Cut shop in my local Bunnings was closed when I visited.

4.If I have to cut them myself, what sort of tool do I need ?

5. What sort of screws do I use to attach these sections together ?

Thanks in advance, I shall try to post a picture of the panel that I have with me.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Help me repurpose my TV Unit to build a Shelving Unit

Hello @nirmal1988 

Would it be possible to post a picture of your damaged cabinet and perhaps a simple sketch of what you want it to turn into.

Thanks,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

nirmal1988
Cultivating a Following

Hello @redracer01 ,

Here are the images.

Pics shows front, back and sides of panels from damaged unit.

Also, attaching a rough plan.

All drawn in pencil is something I am planning to reuse from the damaged unit. The ones in blue(pen) is what I want and also a back covering.

Panel Back 1Panel Back 1Panel Back 2Panel Back 2Panel FrontPanel FrontPanel SidePanel SidePlanPlan

Hi @nirmal1988,

Many thanks for the photos and plan. I'm sure that will prove helpful to @redracer01 and other community members to see what you are working with and what you want to achieve. I will ask @MitchellMc to assist when he is back from holidays at the end of the week and also tag @Benskimo who recently shared this fabulous project - Midcentury modern shelving for our living area

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're really pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden. You will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our amazing community members as you browse the site and participate in discussions.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @nirmal1988 - firstly, great idea hacking a broken unit to make something else out of it - nice one! I'm only a DIYer myself, so take what I say with a bucket of salt...

45cm is pretty wide, so I'd say maybe go for the 45 x 180cm laminated dressed pine panels that Bunnings have. Pine laminate is going to look better than particle board, and MDF wouldn't be strong enough (IMHO). You'll probably never get anything to fully match the existing panels you've got (i.e. that you're going to adapt from the broken TV unit to use as the verticals), but I reckon if you used a teak or cedar stain on the pine, it'd be kinda close.

If you're going to cut the panels to the right lengths yourself, I'd get good at drawing nice accurate lines at 90 degrees, and borrow a circular saw to do the cutting (remembering to cut on the waste side of the line). And 30mm wood screws should do the trick. Good luck, and have fun with it!

nirmal1988
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @Benskimo :smile:

Hi @nirmal1988,

It's great to see you've received a helpful reply from @Benskimo

How are you going with your project? Do you have any further questions, or are you in need of assistance?

Mitchell

nirmal1988
Cultivating a Following

Thanks to @Benskimo , I have now sorted out my timber and I got them cut at the local Bunnings store itself :smile:

Unfortunately, I am yet to start my project :unhappy:

Thanks @MitchellMc , I will update my progress here and also seek the help as and when required.

Great, looking forward to seeing your progress @nirmal1988

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have an update for us.

Jason

nirmal1988
Cultivating a Following

Hi Everyone, 

After many hiccups, I completed my project. I Was very slow in getting a kick start, then in last month or so, I picked up my pace. 
Here are some pictures :smile: 

DA7BE0CD-E16A-48FD-B4B8-A2F9C619F345.jpeg

2496339E-559C-42EF-A49C-D5518C9CFE4B.jpeg

thanks @Benskimo  for your inputs. That was really helpful and got me started. I ran into many road blocks while I was building, majorly with the tools, I have been to Bunnings many times over last 3 months. 

Bunnings community, Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions to improve my work. 
unfortunately, I have to travel overseas, so I will start on next project will be after a while. 

Cheers,

Nirmal

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects