Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help to repair rocking chair

gteam
Getting Established

Help to repair rocking chair

Would someone be able to tell me if this is can be fixed? The arm.of this chair is broken. I have tried to put it back together myself but have

n't got a clue what I am doing.  And and what I would need to do it? 

IMG20200615102541.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: help to repair rocking chair

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @gteam. Many thanks for your question, I'd be glad to answer it for you.

The chair can certainly be repaired with some work. It looks like some repairs have been made before from the white material at the joints. All of that material (perhaps it was white silicon) needs to be removed from the joints and cleaned up to bare timber. If you have all the timber uprights you can then use Sikabond Techgrip 125g Multi-Purpose Polyurethane Adhesive to glue them back into position. Ideally, you would like to clamp the top hand rest down during this process. You might like to drive some screws through the top hand rest and down into the turned uprights to provide extra strength.

If you need any further information or have questions, please, let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gteam
Getting Established

You would be correct about my embarrassing attempts at fixing this old thing. I tried screwing nailing it would glue silicone glue and good old duct tape and clearly I had no idea what I was doing. if it was up to me I threw this chair out but my son has an attachment and loves the chair once I fix this arm I hope to be able tobrand new and even better than it did before. I think would be a fun little project. I appreciate your references to what I need to buy when I go to Bunnings next. sometimes it is hard for me to ask for assistance when I'm in the store because I don't know what I'm asking for or how to grow about what I want to get done so I really like this group. Thanks for the tips, fingers crossed I can get done 🤞☺️

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @gteam,

We are always more than happy to assist with whatever projects you have going on. 

Please, keep us updated on your progress, ask as many questions as you need and I trust you'll have the chair fixed better than it was before.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects