Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Home Automation

Squid
Finding My Feet

Home Automation

What are the options for home automation Bunnings offer?

i am specifically looking for Zigbee

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Home Automation

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Squid. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

You might like to let us know what type of home automation products you were interested in. That way, we can then make some recommendations that are Zigbee compatible. Do you want to boost your home security? Or maybe you’d like to get a few smart products to enhance your entertainment space? Here's our full smart home range.

You could also find these guides useful:

I look forward to hearing what smart home products you are interested in and making some recommendations to suit.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Squid
Finding My Feet

Home Automation

If you can tell me of any products that are compatible with SolarEdge solar systems home automation capabilities , specifically being able to remote control air conditioners, pool pumps etc.  to utilize the solar system to its maximum consumption.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Squid,

HPM has an internal smart powerpoint available which your devices in the home can be plugged into. There is also a weatherproof version that your air-con and pool pump could be plugged into, automating their operation. Both these powerpoints are compatible with Zigbee. If your air-con or pool pump is hard-wired, then the relay that operates these powerpoints can be ordered separately. The relay and powerpoints are both 10amp units, and you would need the services of a qualified electrician to install them.

Mitchell

Outdoor power smart.png

Thanks that is really good advice.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

These smart powerpoints and relays can be ordered through your closest store's Special Orders desk. Please let me know if you need any assistance with placing your order.

I'd encourage you to keep us updated as I trust many of our members will appreciate hearing and learning from your experience.

Mitchell

ishcar
Getting Established

Hey @Squid, if you really want to integrate your systems, each needs to be able to talk through a common "connector".

for Air Conditioners try an IR (InfraRed) controller that way you can control things ranging from TV/DVD/Set-top box/Fans/Airconditioners from one or 2 controllers depending on the distance to the device (usually needs to be inside of 5-8m).
As for pool pumps, yes that is a more tricker - pumps and saltwater chlorinators connected through a 10A socket are easiest to integrate through individual powerpoint controllers (only buy the ones that allow you to measure the power you use - only a couple of dollars more but allows more options including how much your devices are costing in electricity over time). esp if they are in a protected area away from dust, water, rain etc.

The solution that MitchellMc put forward is a good option for areas that don't have 

Anything that supports IFTTT (IF This Then That) will give you good flexibility to do the cool things you are seeking to do.
Remember most vendors try to lock you into only using their ecosystem, so what you buy to solve your problem may not allow you to communicate with all your devices.

ishcar
Getting Established

If your SolarEdge solar system has ethernet and/or wifi (2.4Ghz) interface then you might be in luck, if not then installing a device that allows you to collect light intensity might help you guess how much power your solar system might be producing.  Thus based on that data you could turn off or on certain devices.  Most high-power use devices are most likely going to require an electrician, if that is the case then work out what you might need to do and bundle your electrical jobs together to save on call-out fees (granular power monitoring is usually a cheap way to make the most of your electrician site visit).

I like home assistant automation software that I have installed on a computer/raspberry pi board, there is an abundance of solar systems that the software will talk with including lots of data it can draw out from the solar system that is flexible to use.

Hope that helps

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects