Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How are you getting your home ready for spring?

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

How are you getting your home ready for spring?

Spring is officially a few days away, and it’s time to finally celebrate the sunshine.

I've been keen on growing a few herbs for the longest time, so I'm thinking I may finally plant some coriander, basil and mint this spring.

We’re also planning on hosting a couple of barbecues and pool parties once the weather is a little warmer, so cleaning our backyard and outdoor furniture is currently on top of my to-do list. I’m going to take a quick look at @Adam_W's guide on How to maintain a pool for refreshers on getting the pool ready as well.

What are you doing to prepare your home and garden for warmer weather?

Akanksha

Hero Image Test Blog (38).png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How are you getting your home ready for spring?

Agreed with @EricL  regarding bucket feeder for the Chooks. I have one but unfortunately they don’t really use it. 
I ONLY feed our girls in the morning, only enough for the day so by the evening when the rats come out, the food is pretty much eaten by the girls. This goes for food scraps, only small amount that they will all eat and the rest in the worm farm. 
Even before we had our Chooks , we had rats around as we grow edibles, unfortunately that’s just how it is. We have good neighbours on both sides of us and they know we keep our chicken run clean and we deal with the rat population. I hope this helps 😊

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Spring is (finally) approaching again. What are your plans for your house and garden?

Our deck is looking quite weathered so restoring it is near the top of my to-do list right now. I've already bookmarked @Adam_W's excellent guide How to restore a deck for tips. 

Akanksha

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon All

Thanks for reminding me that my pool should be worked on as its a lovely deep shade of green :smile: NOT. Its been on my to do list but usually start mid september. I suspect we are in for an early start to Spring and warmer weather so need to scoop teh leaves out, check teh ph. Get it right then start on getting it back. Last year I timed it and it took three weeks to get it clean and clear :smile: Thats from dark green.

Apart from that I am thinking of things that might help my garden survice the hot weather such as windbreaks/shade breaks ect. Thinking where the shade will fall and sun will be most intense.

Dave

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Seeing your pool turn green is never fun, @Dave-1. I'm glad you're planning on taking care of it early this year. In case it helps, check out our Best Advice article on the topic for some handy tips: How do you fix a green pool?

Using windbreaks and shade areas to keep your garden protected are great ideas. Do let us know if you need any help with these.

Good luck with your projects and looking forward to seeing them when they're completed.

Akanksha 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects