Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I fix these orange Cyprus Pine floors?

elliza88
Growing in Experience

How can I fix these orange Cyprus Pine floors?

32CFF53B-BB33-443B-9CD6-C21DF729FDEA.jpeg

B75CC551-8EA7-450C-BD51-7C77C556824F.png

Hello everyone

just looking for some desperate advice. I have just spent 6K on a floor sander to sand and varnish my floors to be a light Scandinavian type of look and the product they have used has made it look very orange. 
Would anyone recommend a bleach or tint to create the look I’m going for (first pic of current orange floor and second of desired floor). Understandably the floor will need to be sanded back again but the floor sander is refusing to fix it. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can i fix these orange cyprus pine floors?

Hi @ezzie,

A manager from Bunnings Castle Hill will be in touch shortly.

Many thanks for your patience.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ezzie,

I'm pleased to hear the team at Bunnings Castle Hill has been in contact and will reimburse the product cost and provide the sanding equipment free of charge.

When it comes time to re-apply a product, please let me know, and we can work through the process together.

Mitchell

ezzie
Growing in Experience

Mitchell, you've been a star. The disasters continue though...Mark, the manager was brilliant at organising everything and I have the sanders today. A bit of a hiccough as the store didn't have 40 grit, so I bought 60 grit - which proved useless at removing the coating. I had to drive to another store and grab the last 4 x 40 grits in store. Surprisingly, these aren't much better. Either the machine is set too high OR, I'm wondering if because the coating was only put on a week ago, if it's still soft enough to be clogging the paper? After a few ineffective passes, there is zero coating being removed. I've already spent nearly $300 on sandpaper for these machines - last time I did my floors, I used very few rolls and discs. Could these machines be set too high? Any suggestions? Apart from a few dots of varnish, the roll is surprising still looking fresh and feels sharp enough that it 'should' be doing the job.40 grit.jpg

ezzie
Growing in Experience

Help! 40 grit not touching it

20240123_131012.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ezzie 

That is a bit puzzling as 40 grit sandpaper will usually strip your floor bare in moments. I'm sure you've double checked, but can I please ask you to check the settings on the floor sander to make sure that the belt is locked in place with the sanding pad in full contact with the floor. I would also like to ask if you can test the floor sander in another section of your floor. 

At this point I'm just trying to suggest some trouble shooting measures. I'll give Mark a call now to inform them of what's happening. Once you've tested the sander, please let me know if you get it working.

Eric

ezzie
Growing in Experience

Exactly Eric! 40 grit should rip through it like butter. I had the same issue with previous machine, but this one is MUCH worse. Settings....what settings?  The roller is definitely engaging, but I think not low enough. If I not only release the handle to drop the drum onto the surface, but actually push it down a little further, it's then engaging more but it does become unstable. Mark is off today.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ezzie 

Allow me to get in touch with you through private messaging so that I can provide you with further assistance.

Eric

ezzie
Growing in Experience

I've done the entire room...it's taken two hours of solid work to remove 'most' of the varnish. This should have taken 20 mins at tops (3m x 4m). Only settings are on and off. The drum 'seems' to be to floor...concerned about how I can push the lever further forward.

ezzie
Growing in Experience

Woo hoo! Finished (well, didn't have the energy to finish off the edges in 100 grit). It took all day with the sander issues, but the edger worked like a dream, but damn, it's heavy. Found some rope wrapped round the floor sander drum which probably didn't help. At one point the drum sander seemed to start sanding correctly but was then leaving black marks everywhere...no idea what they are, but it was working! Thank you Mitch, Eric and Mark the manager who went above and beyond to help a gal with a dodgy knee at the end of her tether.

• Finished!Finished!Drum sander left these black marksDrum sander left these black marksLots of them...Lots of them...
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ezzie 

It's good to hear you've made some progress. In regards to the black marks, I suspect that the sanding pad is not totally centred and is rolling slightly off the drum. I recommend removing and repositioning the sanding pad to get a better fit.

In order to remove the black marks, I suggest doing a quick pass with the edger to remove them.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects