Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I make this lock fit in the security screen door?

Starter1503
Finding My Feet

How can I make this lock fit in the security screen door?

3C4E3C91-2C70-463B-85D1-0BFCC65C4CBF.jpeg

my entrance security screen door handle fell off and I’ve bought a replacement which looks identical (Rolltrax). Following the instructions I’ve removed the old lock body and inserted the new one which fits however, the actual hole for the lock is slightly out of alignment to be able to get the next bit in. Would you file the door down a bit? No amount of adjusting will move it in any further… 

brendawebster44
Making a Splash

Re: How can I make this lock fit in the security screen door?

Hi there , now I am a Mia Female but I really think you are over thinking the situation full stop .. I personally (I am hoping that will cover me legally) If it does not fit due to ? subsidance or it may have not fitted it correctly in the first place or the lock was wonky from the start dose it matter. Now before dinner you can either chisel the thing down until it fits or make some kind of mould for the other side in which case you will good at whittling yes.Joking aside when I was hanging pictures I watched in amazement that anything gets done at all by men. They turned it up and down making pencil marks and complaining about the economy and price of petrol mouthing the measurements to each other then turned around to see my girlfriend and me had put at least ten pictures up while they measured twice cut once . So Que Sera Sera, and please ask the experts Mitchell Eric the wise or Katie  happy new year love to all brenda

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Starter1503,

Personally, I'd take a file and open the hole up to accommodate. I can't see any issue in doing that, and if you've chosen the closest matching lock, I feel any other is likely to give you more difficulty whilst installing.

Let us know how you go.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Not sure what I did but some jiggling it around and additional brute force got it into place, no filing required!

Thanks all!

Thanks for updating us @Starter1503. I'll be sure to recommend "jiggling it" as a viable solution if I ever run into the issue again. :smile:

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects