Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can i use this panel as floating shelf?

Rana99
Finding My Feet

How can i use this panel as floating shelf?

Hello fellow benchers, 

How can i use this panel as floating shelf without any visible brackets. I can use barely visible brackets.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/specrite-1200-x-300mm-18mm-timber-panel-hevea-fj-laminated_p8330183 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can i use this panel as floating shelf?

Hi @Rana99,

If you are after a shelf with hidden brackets, you'd be best to select from our available floating shelves. These shelves are typically thicker than 18mm as the bracket is hidden internally. The floating shelves are really easy to install and I'll include an instructional video below. You can purchase hidden brackets to suit a solid shelf, but the minimum thickness shelf they'll fit into is 24mm.

Here's our range of shelf brackets for you to look through. You could get away with something relatively minimalistic like these Flexi Storage 5 - 22mm Aluminium Recto Shelf Clips if you only intend to place lightweight items on the shelf.

A wide shelf generally requires a bracket that comes out and supports the whole depth. In turn, there is then another attachment arm of equal length for the wall. Unfortunately, this then makes the brackets quite visible.

If you've seen the second image on Specrite 1200 x 300mm 18mm Timber Panel Hevea FJ Laminated product page and that's how you'd like to mount the shelves, I'd have to imagine they've taken a bit of creative license when putting that image together.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi, thanks for your reply. 

the shelf has to be 300mm deep. Weight under 10kg on the shelf.

would this bracket suit?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

If you're able to secure them into your timber studs, they will @Rana99. Studs are spaced 450mm or 600mm apart, so you should be able to find two of them, depending on the location of the shelf.

I'd recommend a decent-sized fixing like these Zenith 14G x 75mm Galvanised Type 17 Batten Bugle Head Timber Screws.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects