Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I choose an Air Conditioning split system? (2022)

MikeJ
Just Starting Out

How do I choose an Air Conditioning split system? (2022)

Our 15 year old LG air conditioning finally failed. I can gently kick start the outdoor fan to get it started but after few min the compressor hum stops and indoor unit just circulates warm air. :sad: Still 15 years without servicing is pretty good result! :smile:

How to Choose?
Like many home owners, I will need something in 5+ kW range to heat good size living area / kitchen / family area.

Energy efficiency is high priority so tips on how to compare units would be helpful - do I just look at the rated "kw energy" in the product name?

Do all 2021 / 2022 units have a 'smart' app capability instead of traditional remote control? How easy will they integrate with home automation like 'Home Assistant', Alexa or Google Assistant? What are the other 'smart' features I should be looking for?

Bunnings Product Range
Bunnings does stock reverse cycle split system air con units, but very brief on product details making comparisons / decisions hard. Does Bunnings have the latest / 'best' model units or are the 'best' models only available in USA or other countries?

Looking for any thoughts or recommendations on brands/models or whether to go elsewhere for wider range or better unit.
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I choose an Air Conditioning split system? (2022)

Hi @MikeJ

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about split air conditioning systems.

You're right when it comes to choosing an aircon unit, there's so much to choose from, and sometimes not all the details are included. Since you've stipulated that you want a 5 kW unit, that narrows the field down. 

Below are the aircon units I've come across in a standard search on the Bunnings site:

When it comes to energy efficiency, an easy way to determine that is to look at the energy star rating system. The more stars a unit has, the more efficient it is.

There are so many options now for smart app compatibility. In a nutshell, if your appliance has an infrared (IR) remote, it can still be retroactively linked to Wifi with a bit of hardware. A good example is the Antsig Grid Connect Smart IR Universal Remote Controller. It has an independent app and is compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant. This device will allow you to control almost all your appliances.  

In the interest of product fairness, I don't want to influence your choice when it comes to choosing the model of your aircon unit. Whenever you look at an aircon unit, scroll down to the bottom of the page and have a look at the ratings and review section. I recommend reading the reviews posted by the people who purchased the aircon unit.

If you happen to find an aircon unit that is not stocked by the store but is a brand that the store carries, it will have to be specially ordered at the Special Orders Desk.

My number one tip for your proposed purchase is to get an aircon installation quote. By getting a quote it gives you a better idea of how much the entire exercise will cost you. 

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sure this will be a popular topic at this time of year. 

Let me tag @Adam_W to see what air conditioning he went with for his renovated Queensland home.

Experienced electrician @HandyAndy@bruce93 and @MikeTNZ might also like to share their wisdom.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @MikeJ

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop.

To be fair I haven't worked with aircon gear for a couple of years, but I will say this though,

do your homework on this, before you spend any money, compare all of the units that you can find info on.

If you can't find actual energy efficiency ratings (and believe me these are very important) for a given model,

I would discount it and look for something that does.

Also, as an electrician, if you were going to go for a larger unit (ie 6kW +), you may need a larger supply cable to the

outdoor unit, as this will more than likely draw more current than your existing unit does,I'm not saying it will, in fact

it may not, but it is something to be taken into account when asking for quotes.

Let us know how you get on, or if you have further questions, ask away!

Cheers,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects