Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I fix these floorboards?

RJefferies
Just Starting Out

How do I fix these floorboards?

1B8548E8-65FD-40B8-B0D9-934E0325084D.jpeg

Need some advice on how to fix this dark rim (and 3 other similar spots) on my floorboards.

Had a pest man come and access under the house, lifting two separate manhole access points. I put putty in all the defects that were left then sanded them and attempted to stain/varnish to blend them back in and keep having the same issue with it being too dark (4 attempts now 😢).

I have been using an orbital sander, 120 grit. Also tried 120 then 240. Initially used a matched light stain and varnish. I have tried a different product each time, with the last one being feast Watson timber floor varnish clear polyurethane with exactly the same issue.

Is it a sanding issue resulting in excessive absorption? Incorrect product? Or is it likely related to my initial attempts and I need to sand back the area further?

Happy to throw in the towel and get a professional if there’s no simple solution!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I fix these floorboards?

Hi @RJefferies,

Welcome to the  Bunnings Workshop community. It's good to have you join us.

Let me tag our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL to share his thoughts with you as soon as possible.

Don't be too discouraged: I think it's very difficult to get a satisfactory result without sanding all the floorboards and applying the same product to all your floor. But hopefully Eric and other community members will have some helpful advice. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @RJefferies 

Thanks for sharing your question regarding your floorboards. Can you please tell me what filler you used in your timber floor. Your sanding technique is quite sound, and I don't think that is the cause of the staining. It's possible that the stain you used has released a form of bonding agent that is affecting the timber. I suggest testing it on a piece of offcut timber and see if you get the same staining effect as your floor. If you do, odds are your filler is the cause of the dark staining.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks Eric. I used Earl’s Timbermate wood filler in the walnut colour. Your theory about the bonding agent is a good idea, as I haven’t been able to explain why the dark colour is so patchy, and may have to do with the direction I sanded over the filler (see a different section below). Maybe I should try and sand carefully around but not over the filler and see what happens

E4D2E2E6-7161-42A0-A107-97169960786F.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @RJefferies 

Thanks for providing that extra information about the filler that you used. I suspect that the filler has not fully cured yet and is still releasing moisture. I recommend giving it more time to cure or use a heat gun to accelerate the curing time of the filler. When the filler has fully cured it should produce a very fine powdery dust when sanded.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your floor repaired.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects