Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I install a back channel with guttering?

TerryGastin
Getting Established

How do I install a back channel with guttering?

I am building a freestanding patio and about to install the gutters but am not sure where the back channel goes.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How do I install a back channel with guttering?

Hello @TerryGastin 

Welcome to Bunnings workshop community. In order for us to get a better understanding of how you want the gutter installed could I possibly ask you to post a picture of the free standing patio. By posting the picture we can then assess the situation and give you  possible suggestions on how to proceed. 

Cheers, 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @TerryGastin,

It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question on back channel installation.

As @redracer01 has mentioned, we would need to see how you've constructed the patio and what options are available for the installation of the back channel. Could you please also provide a picture of the channel itself? You might also like to check with the manufacturer to see if there are any installation instructions. If you've acquired this product through us, I'd be happy to locate the instructions for you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell

I have attached photos of the patio, guttering and back channel and the dimensions of the back channel. I don't have any instructions for the installation so am not sure where the back channel is situated.

Hope you can help

Regards

Terry

IMG_0466.JPGIMG_0470 (2).JPGIMG_0470.JPGIMG_0471.JPGIMG_0472.JPGIMG_0474.JPG

Was the back channel supplied with the Fielders guttering or patio @TerryGastin

Back channel of that size is generally used to butt roofing sheeting up against a flat surface. It is screwed and silicone into place, and then the sheet is slotted into it. If it was with the guttering, it is potentially a capping for the rear side to prevent water from leaking between the guttering and roof beam.

If it came with the guttering, I'd be happy to contact Fielders after the weekend to enquire about how it is installed.

Mitchell

Thanks for your reply Mitchell

It was supplied in a Fielders kit but it is not indicated whether it is for the guttering.  I would really appreciate if you could contact Fielders for me for further instructions.

Regards

Terry

@TerryGastin,

Could you please provide the details of the kits you are using from Fielders? If the patio is also from Fielders, could you please provide the details of that too?

Many thanks

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell

W purchased the entire freestanding patio kit from Fielder.  It is a Freespan Hip Portal Gable (20 degree) from the Centenary range. Patio018.jpgplanpatio.png The structure is 4m x 6m.  I have attached a drawing of the roof and specification from the job summary.

Hi Mitchell

I have been thinking about the back channel and I dont think it has anything to do with the guttering as I have 2 x 2650mm lengths of the smaller back channel dimensions that I previously sent you and 1 x 7500mm length of the back channel of the larger dimensions that I have attached here

Patio020.jpgPatio020.jpg 

I am thinking it has something to do with the roof.

Thanks for your help

Terry

Those are my thoughts, too, @TerryGastin. It's most likely a capping for the top of the sheets where they meet at the peak of the roof. We'll find out on Monday, though.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects