Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I 'lighten' the interior a little, but maintain the rustic-look integrity? White/Lime wash?

Jennie2337
Finding My Feet

How do I 'lighten' the interior a little, but maintain the rustic-look integrity? White/Lime wash?

Lounge room wall and ceilingLounge room wall and ceilingSolid timber kitchenSolid timber kitchenFraming around internal bi foldFraming around internal bi fold

I would like to 'lighten' parts of the house, but still have the lovely timber/exposed brick texture and look. I would like to white wash or lime wash the brick lounge room wall so that you can still see the brickwork and its features. Then I'd like to lighten the timber ceiling, maybe leaving the exposed beams as they are and just white or lime wash the flat timber boards on either side of the beams. 

I'd also like to paint the kitchen cupboard doors, but again, something 'washy' rather than a solid paint colour.

I'd also like to do something similar with the timber frame around the bi fold doors.

I'm looking for inspiration and suggestions. I'm pretty handy with prepping and painting, so intend on doing it myself.

Thanks...

Tam88
Finding My Feet

Re: How do I 'lighten' the interior a little, but maintain the rustic-look integrity? White/Lime was

I think you need to be careful about how much texture and "washiness" you use. 

If it was my home, I would do a thick lime wash on the lounge room walls, leave the main beams as is or stain a slightly darker colour and then paint the ceiling white. 

I would leave the timber door frame alone unless you sand it back and stain it slightly darker. 

The kitchen is a little harder. If you're replacing the benchtop with a light colour and then installing new tiles I would suggest leaving as is. Otherwise I would paint with a white or subtle grey and very light distressing the edges, just enough to let the detail show through. I suggest lime washing the walls in the kitchen as well and putting in a tile up to the overheads. You can get some amazing 100 x 100 tiles that look hand made and rustic. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I 'lighten' the interior a little, but maintain the rustic-look integrity? White/Lime ...

Hi @Jennie2337

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about how to lighten the interior of your house but keep the rustic look.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Tam88. I agree with the recommendations made as you can easily misjudge your colour combinations. Did you happen to see a picture of what look you were trying to go for? If not, I suggest having a look at some Hampton-style kitchens with brick walls. Doing a light limewash of your brick wall will definitely lighten the room. You could try a two-tone combination to break up the all-white look. Perhaps a very light grey on the kitchen cabinets? Unfortunately, if you're going for a lime wash finish on your kitchen doors, you'll have to sand it back down to a timber finish, otherwise, the brown stain will come right through. Leaving some parts in their original color will provide excellent contrast.   

Let me tag our experienced members @prettyliving, @lifestylebymari, and @craftyhopper for their colour recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I 'lighten' the interior a little, but maintain the rustic-look integrity? White/Lime was

Hi @Jennie2337,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.  

It looks like a beautiful home. I'm keen for experienced renovator @2Belindas to share her thoughts as I'm sure this is a common challenge for people wanting to modernise and lighten their home without damaging the integrity of the original design. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Jennie2337 
Straight away, I'm curious about your intention with the property.  If it's your forever home, then yes, do some lime washing/German Schmear and paint the ceiling white.  Everything @Tam88 has suggested above is spot on.
If you are going to sell and want the most money for your home, it's necessary (but sometimes difficult to do) to let all emotional attachment to the existing wood and bricks go, and paint everything white/neutrals! (except maybe the door frame and ceiling beams) .  
A great place to start....so you can get used to what the place will look like when it's lighter and brighter....is to jump on an app from one of the paint companies, upload your photos and start adding colour.  That way you can 'see' what it's going to look like and give it some time to settle in your mind, before you head to Bunnings for your paints.
Painted bricks are amazing - the texture is what makes them look and feel great and they're super popular.  You'll never regret it.
Go for it.

Creating a beautiful home on a budget

Hiya,

this is our forever home. Buying it from my parents who can no longer manage the upkeep of it. It’s perfect for us, I’m a schoolteacher and although it’s a 30 minute drive each way to school, the drive goes past some of the most beautiful scenery. The best thoroughbred horse studs of Australia dominate the landscape as I drive to and from work…no main roads and only 1 set of traffic lights when I actually get close to school. 
We love the house, we love the position of the house… we’ve worked very hard to clean it up after my dad’s hoarding and squalor nearly swallowed the whole place.

So, in other words…YES :smile: it’s our forever house. 

Hi @Jennie2337 
I love your story!  And you'll get to enjoy it forever (and the beautiful drive to and from)
Good luck with the reno. 

Creating a beautiful home on a budget

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects