Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I pull up rubber backed carpet tiles that have been glued?

BellaQ22
Getting Established

How do I pull up rubber backed carpet tiles that have been glued?

I have from previous owner , had placed down in lounge room rubber backed carpet squares ..they glued them down onto the wooden floor..some are easy to get up others well ..I just am unable to move as easily ..

Just after suggestions please ..

And in 2nd bedroom they have done the same ..

There is dog urine on these so , not sure about doing with a heat gun ..to soften the glue ?? 

Any help would be great fully appreciated thanks 

20220724_071347.jpg

 this is lounge room floor ..

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I pull up rubber backed carpet tiles that have been glued?

Hi @BellaQ22

This looks like an excellent start to your renovation. I suggest using a multi-tool to cut into the glue and rubber. This will facilitate faster removal of the old carpet tiles. The multi-tool can pretty much cut into anything, but using it as a carpet panel remover is ideal as it can be used in a flat horizontal fashion. 

The technique will be to lift a corner of the tile carpet and use the multi-tool to cut away the adhesive and rubber.  Please make sure to use rubber work gloves and a dust mask when handling old carpet. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hi @BellaQ22 you have received great advice from @EricL an alternative method that I've seen used in commercial refurbishment is a long handle scraper and then glue remover as per the following 2 products below. Make sure you wear a mask and well ventilated. Applying the glue remover with a long handle paint roller and paint tray would work best.

Screenshot_20220810-180150_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220810-180111_Chrome.jpg

  

Follow instructions on the back of the drum.

Carl

BellaQ22
Getting Established

I found out the carpet in the 2nd bedroom,  was not glued down hust tacked down terribly..

When I lifted it along one wall there was fire damage ..on the floor ..not sure what to do there now 🤔 

20220812_155352.jpg

 2nd bedroom floor burnt 

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hey @BellaQ22 is it fire damage or smoke damage?

Is it structural damage eg. You could put your foot or finger through it and its crumbling or is it just black soot stain on the wood?

If it's just black soot then it will clean off with a detergent and hard bristle broom.

If it's structural and the timber is damaged then it will need to be assessed by a builder and advised if to be replaced or not.

Carl

Its actually burnt ..its structural , my building inspector who went over the home would not of seen this ..

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Thats a shame @BellaQ22, best to get a builder in for assessment then and go from there. It may just mean taking the skirting boards off and cutting the floor out to the joists where no more damage is then replacing the flooring in the cut out section. 

Even if you are paying for that assessment you can get the advise to carry it out yourself if you are confident and able to do so.

Thanks 

Im unable to do it myself , I will take out the burnt board ..and make sure no further damage ..🙏🤞lol 

See what grade of marine ply and replace it. 

Finding people to help is difficult..

BellaQ22
Getting Established

Thanks Eric 👍 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects