Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I remove a plastic screw insert (for mounting a light fitting) from a plaster ceiling?

Rob-9
Finding My Feet

How do I remove a plastic screw insert (for mounting a light fitting) from a plaster ceiling?

I removed a ceiling mounted light fitting which was secured to the plaster with a plastic screw in plug into which the metal screws were screwed. I want to remove the plastic plug without further danging the ceiling. Would a screw extractor do it?

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How do I remove a plastic screw insert (for mounting a light fitting) from a plaster ceiling

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Rob-9, and thanks for reaching out with your question.

Our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be happy to help when he's back on the site on Friday. Let me also tag @redracer01 to see if he has any suggestions.

Look forward to hearing about the projects you've got planned around the house and garden.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I remove a plastic screw insert (for mounting a light fitting) from a plaster ceiling?

While we wait for @MitchellMc, perhaps @MikeTNZ and @bruce93 might be able to share their thoughts. Their experience as electricians should be invaluable on this one, especially in regards to safety. 

Thanks,

Jason

Rob-9
Finding My Feet

Re: How do I remove a plastic screw insert (for mounting a light fitting) from a plaster ceiling?

Clarification - nothing electrical involved - an electrician had replaced ceiling fitting with LED downlights. When he removed the old light fitting the plastic plugs did not come away, and I want to remove them before I plaster over the holes and prepare ceiling for repainting. 

thumbnail_IMG_0285.jpg

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Rob-9 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop! What you have in your ceiling are plastic wall anchors. A typical example are Ramset plastic wall anchors, they are easy enough to take out. If you have a philips head screw driver, simply line it up with the plastic head and insert it in to the cross head slot. Turn anti clockwise to reverse the screwing action of the plastic anchor. Remember to do it gently so as not to aggravate the ceiling plaster board which you will need to repair. Once the plastic anchor starts to come out continue until the full body of the plug removes itself  from the plaster board. Once all the anchors are out you can use a Poly Wall Repair Kit. Follow the instructions at the back of the tub to make repairs to your ceiling. Gently sand back to flatten and paint ceiling area that has been repaired. I hope the suggestions help and thank you for sharing your diy query, if you have any more questions please post it here on workshop.

Cheers,

Red

The Ramset wall anchors have a philips or cross head slot for installation and removal.The Ramset wall anchors have a philips or cross head slot for installation and removal.Use this to repair your ceiling.Use this to repair your ceiling.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Rob-9,

@redracer01 is spot on. They simply unscrew anti-clockwise. 

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to fix a hole in a plaster wall.

Please let us know if you run into any difficulties.

Mitchell

Hi Red

Your advice was spot on, and the anchors came out quite easily. My problem was they appeared to have no way of accepting a screw driver - but it did, and problem solved.

Thanks again

Rob

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Awesome, many thanks for letting us know @Rob-9.

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have a project to share with the community.

Jason

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Rob-9 

Fantastic! I'm glad it all worked out. If you ever find yourself with more questions to ask or you would like to share your current diy project please post it here on workshop!

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects