Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I replace foundation posts?

Kanjini
Just Starting Out

How do I replace foundation posts?

Our kitchen floor is undulating and wavy, because a few of the house's foundation posts are either tilted, rotten or sunken into soil. 

We want to level our floor, how do I go about it?

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How do I replace foundation posts?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Kanjini! We're delighted to have you join us and look forward to assisting you with your home improvement and garden projects. 

Thanks for your question. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be back online later today and will be happy to assist.

In the meantime, let me tag our ever-helpful members@tom_builds, @Dave-1 and @TedBear for their recommendations.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @Kanjini 

Welcome to the communtity page :smile: Its a good place for finding different ways/ideas on how to do things.

Ahh the drunk posts. I have had them in my past place and I left them in the too hard basket tho have been told if you know what you are doing then it could be easy. I accepted I did not know what I was doing and no way did I want to be supporting and flexing the floor above me.

I would suggest a builder and ask if you can help with the labour (This is what I will do if my new houses piers become "drunk"). That way you win both ways. It gets done correctly (especially for insurance down the track) and then you learn how to do it for the next ones.

I live where there is a lot of clay and with the drought then rain the ground slowly heads down the hill over the years so all the piers arnt true to verticle.

Also A builder will know how to straighten a floor, it may not just be a case of one spot raise, it will could be adjust in a certain order depending on how the bow/s are.

I have a bowed support beam in my current place, and listening to my advice to you I have realised I need  acarpoenter for the same reason if I gpo down the path to try and straight in. Ahhh strange how answers come to you :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Kanjini 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. I totally agree with his recommendation of engaging the services of a registered builder. They will be able to assess if foundation post needs fixing or your floor needs adjusting.

To give you a general idea of how the repair will be carried out. Steel support beams will be placed under your house to act as temporary footing. They will then make a determination as to the type of repair that will need to be applied to your house foundation. It's either the post is replaced and modified, or your floor will need to be adjusted.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects