Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I soundproof my yard and house from noisy neighbours?

Alicia1234
Just Starting Out

How do I soundproof my yard and house from noisy neighbours?

Hi I hope someone can help my neighbours are noisy at times but at times they are quite the can be quiet for about a week then suddenly one day it’s full on noise level is through the roof kids screaming the screaming is worse when the kids got a friend over and and the radio can be on from 10am to10pm radio playing and if AFL season is on the radio is loud i have asked for the radio to be turned down only because it was after midnight and my housemate still work on weekends starts really early in the morning that night the radio was pretty loud but I also have other neighbours in the next street but a few house down when they party they have a load subwoofer and you can hear-in my street i am hoping anyone has any ideas on how to soundproof my yard and home

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do i soundproof my yard and house from noisy neighbours

Hello @Alicia1234

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about soundproofing your yard.

I'm afraid totally soundproofing the area is not possible unless you're covering the entire area and putting a roof on top. You can reduce the noise by putting some fibre cement sheeting onto your fence and planting some heavy dense shrubs. I recommend having a look at this project - Re: Cement sheeting on timber pailing fence by @Cracks. By placing a secondary cover on the main fence, the direct ambient noise will be reduced. However, noise coming from above the fence will still be heard.

Using plants and shrubs is another option, but this particular strategy may take time before it provides adequate cover. If the noise becomes too much, I recommend using noise-cancelling headphones.

Let me tag our experienced members @diy_hausdesigns and @ProjectPete for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects