Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How much sanding of skirtings needed before painting?

siva26
Cultivating a Following

How much sanding of skirtings needed before painting?

Hi all,

I'm trying to sand-off my current skirting and paint it to give a fresh look. I'm not able to judge how much to sand. I used a 120 grit sandblock and based on the advise the skirting is slightly dull but not too much. Would that be enough to start painting? I'm afraid the paint won't stick. Should I go for lower grit? 

Also, isit the same technique to sand doors?

IMG20220915175853.jpg

Attaching the pic of the sanded skirting

IMG20220915180112.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How much sanding of skirtings needed before painting?

Hi @siva26,

My go-to product in these situations is Dulux Maximum Adhesion Primer. It's perfect for gloss or challenging to paint surfaces. Simply give the area a quick sanding with your 120-grit paper, wipe the site down and then prime. Using a specialty primer like this takes away all the guesswork.

Essentially, if you're just sanding, the gloss must be removed until the surface appears dull and doesn't reflect light easily. In your top image, you can clearly see the reflection of your flash or light source. You don't want to be able to see clearly (for paint) defined reflections. 

It's hard to tell from just a picture whether your skirting is ready to be painted, but it looks like you've done a reasonable job of removing any sheen level. The door will be the same process. A good indicator is that the skirting and door should have a similar sheen to your walls when ready to paint. Walls are typically low-sheen.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
siva26
Cultivating a Following

Hi @MitchellMc,

Thank you so much for your advice. I think the skirtings still need some sanding but I rather go for the primer you have mentioned as I am not sure. So just to run through the steps again:

1) Just do some light sanding and wipe off the area

2) prime the area with Dulux Maximum Adhesion Primer

3) Paint the skirting with the colour I want

And the above steps can also be done on room and bathroom doors.

Is the above information correct?

Thanks

Siva 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's it, @siva26!

After sanding and prepping with the primer, you'll be using a hardwearing topcoat paint like Dulux Aquanamel for doors and trims.

Mitchell

siva26
Cultivating a Following

After using Dulux Maximum Adhesion Primer, can I use Taubmans ultimate enamel as top coat or should I still stick to the same Dulux brand? I bought this before starting my painting.

IMG_20220918_091703.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You sure can use the Taubmans ultimate enamel over the Dulux Maximum adhesion primer, @siva25. They are both water-based and compatible.

Mitchell

siva26
Cultivating a Following

Hi @MitchellMc ,

Thank you so much for all your advice. Really appreciate it!

Thanks

Siva

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's my pleasure, @siva26! Let us know how you get on, and please shout out if you get stuck.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects