Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How should I attach my letterbox to my heritage iron fence?

nkotzman
Finding My Feet

How should I attach my letterbox to my heritage iron fence?

Hi all

Hopeful that someone can assist with my enquiry. I recently bought a heritage style letterbox to be attached to our heritage style iron fence for our terrace house. Unfortunately the letterbox didn't come with any extra pieces to be used to attach it to anything other than a flat surface. I've attached three pictures to this post showing the letterbox from the front and back, and another image of a neighbour's letterbox to illustrate a nice simple way that I could attach it... only problem is that I have no idea what that piece of metal is that my neighbour has used to in effect clamp the letterbox to the iron fence.

Any ideas?

ThanksIMG_8476.jpg

image0.jpeg

image2.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How should I attach my letterbox to my heritage iron fence?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @nkotzman. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

It appears to be some type of T-slot aluminium extrusion. I am not aware of us selling a similar product. 

A simple way of fixing the letterbox to the upright would be with pipe saddles. If you drill holes either side of the poles, to match those in the saddle, you could use a pop-rivet gun to secure the letterbox in place. You then might like to paint the saddles to blend in with the surrounding area.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell, that's very helpful!

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Nkotzman you could also use j bolts (available at bunnings)

JDE

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@JDE

Great thinking!

@nkotzman might even be able to use J-bolts through the existing holes if they lined up correctly.

Many thanks for contributing to the discussion.

Mitchell

Thanks for the suggestions @MitchellMc and @JDE. Ended up drilling some extra holes in the back and using pipe clips and pop rivets to attach. Worked a treat.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Fantastic, many thanks for letting us know @nkotzman. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share with the community. We are looking forward to seeing what you tackle next.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects