Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to I fill these gaps between the floor and skirting boards?

rogez09
Just Starting Out

How to I fill these gaps between the floor and skirting boards?

Wondering what i can use to block these gaps in as its letting cold air in, and the heat out.

There between the floorboards and skirting boards, mostly along a brick wall between me and my neighbouring unit.IMG_9286.jpgIMG_9290.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to i fill these gaps

Hello @rogez09

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about filling gaps between your skirting board and floorboard.

In these situations, I suggest using Selleys 475g No More Gaps Interior Multipurpose Gap Filler. It has the capacity to fill gaps all the way up to 25mm in width and 12mm in depth. Please make sure that the area is free of dirt and debris before you begin. A quick vacuum and wipe down with Selleys Sugar Soap Wall Cleaning Wipes - 25 Pack will prepare the surface nicely.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to silicone a gap

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your floor gap fixed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to I fill these gaps between the floor and skirting boards?

@EricL,

Just wondering whether @rogez09 could also use quad?

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @rogez09

My colleague has just added an extra excellent suggestion as an alternative to gap filler. You can also use timber quad moulding, it's like adding a mini skirting board to your existing skirting board. There is also the option of trimming down the quad moulding so that it fits in the gap between your floor and the skirting. This brings me to the third alternative and that is to remove your current skirting and replace it with a taller version. 

Although there are the extra steps of gluing, nailing and painting, it is a viable solution that will provide you with a good seal and prevent the heat from escaping your home.

here is a handy link to help you keep your home warm: How to winter-proof your home.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Dmilly
Just Starting Out

I've recently read an article saying that it's possible to use weather stripping to fill the gap, which feels more approacable than gap filler. I have an old house with uneven floors, so quad moulding will only partially solve the problem. I'm considering using both weather stripping and quad moulding to ensure a reasonable seal and clean presentation. What is your view on doing this? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Dmilly. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about filling gaps under skirting.

You can certainly use weather stripping to fill the gap under skirting. If you choose a size slightly larger than the gap, you can compress it down to fit the gap and then it will expand once in place, forming quite a nice seal. Were you then thinking of placing the quad over the weather seal? If so, fantastic, that will work well. My only concern would be using the weather strip by itself; I'm not sure it will leave you with a clean presentation compared to caulking/silicone.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

rec
Just Starting Out

I’ve got gaps between the floor and skirting board too but I’m mainly concerned that dust and debris and also cockroaches come in and out from there. Would you recommend the same products to block the gaps up and prevent dust and cockroaches from coming in and out? Pics show gaps that i temporarily tried to fill with paper towel the other night when a cockroach came out from it, and then also an unblocked gap for reference. I’d say the majority of the property has a gap between skirting and floor with only a few places where the gap is very small or there is no gap at all. I am renting.

IMG_0204.jpeg

IMG_0205.jpeg

IMG_0207.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rec. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about filling gaps in skirting boards.

It's always best to request permission from the landlord before performing any work on the property. I think they'd be quite happy for you to fill the gaps to prevent insects from entering the home. I suggest using Selleys 475g No More Gaps Interior Multipurpose Gap Filler and taping up the skirting and the floorboards before applying the filler. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to silicone a gap.

For the larger gap on the last image, you might like to first insert some backing rod to prevent excessive filler from being used.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects