Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add extra shelves to a cabinet?

charmand3rp
Just Starting Out

How to add extra shelves to a cabinet?

Hi all,

I have an IKEA Brimnes cabinet that came with 10 glass shelves (370mm x 325mm). I'm needing to add extra shelves.

Have found extra shelf pins available for purchase at Bunnings, but not sure what would be best to use for shelving. I don't care what they're made of as long as it's cost-effective and sturdy enough for me to put a pair of shoes on the shelf.

So far I've thought of:

- getting some MDF cut to size, but that might be a hassle

- trying to find some floor tiles of a similar size

- cutting a plexiglass sheet down to size but not sure if that'd be cost effective or sturdy enough.

Keen to hear any other ideas, I'm really not wanting to spend a lot on this project.

16793020191902828764589764966244.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add extra shelves to a cabinet?

Hello @charmand3rp,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about adding shelves to your cabinet.

Since you already have the shelf size that you need, I suggest bringing these measurements to the store and picking out a material you can use. Ideally you want something strong, light and easy to handle. Using MDF would be my first recommendation as it is easily cut and comes in different thicknesses. 

I suggest using the 9mm thick MDF as it will be strong enough to hold shoes, but not so thick that it looks bulky inside your cabinet. It can also be painted in white so that it blends in with the colour of your cabinet.

I'm afraid using tiles as a shelf is not ideal as an accidental hit could cause it to snap or split in the middle. Plus, the non-standard size makes it difficult to match. Perspex on the other hand is not cost effective and will eventually get scratched ruining the smooth clear finish.    

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint MDF.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thankyou so much for your response! Do you think they might be able to help me cut the MDF to size in store? I wasn't sure if it'd be too small

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @charmand3rp 

You should be able to have those shelves cut at the store as the sizes you've mentioned are not too small. I strongly advise to double check your measurements before you ask the store to cut the panel.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects