Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add paneling to a corner wall in kitchen?

dchur
Building a Reputation

How to add paneling to a corner wall in kitchen?

Hey team,

We have a corner dining area in the kitchen and want to add some paneling to it to make it a bit of a feature with paintings in the larger panels.

For reference the wall on the left (Wall A) is 1940mm and the wall on the right is 2760mm (from the corner on the left, to the cupboard on the right).

Given that the walls are of two different widths, we thought to have a design that is a mix of two different panel designs. We can call Panel A the slim one that is 300mm wide, and Panel B the large one that is 940mm wide. Panel B is the one that would have photo frames in it.

Given the widths of the walls, this works pretty much perfectly for us to do Wall A having panels: A B A. Then Wall B would have panels: A B B A.

I've mocked this up below. On the superimposed version of the actual area, the widths are not to scale.

My questions are:

1) Is this too "busy" for the area?

2) Given the width difference for the two walls, and factoring in the cupboard on the right, is this sort of layout appropriate?

3) We would want the top of the panels to be 10cm from the ceiling so they are quite tall. This puts them higher than the top of the cupboard on the right, which sits at 24cm from the top of the ceiling. Would this look odd?

dchur_0-1697409448318.png

dchur_1-1697409467539.png

Here is a real world example of what we are expecting the look to be like:

dchur_0-1697409678137.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add paneling to a corner wall in kitchen?

Hi @dchur,

I believe a lot of what you're asking there is personal opinion. If you like the look, then go for it. Personally, I think it looks great, but given it's on both walls in a corner, it's a tad busy for me. I created a couple of renderings below. Perhaps you could consider doing some VJ panelling on the lower half to break it up a little.

Your layout is fine and is pleasing to the eye, and I don't think having the moulding higher than the cupboard will necessarily be an issue.

Let me tag our experienced members @2Belindas, @prettyliving, @lifestylebymari, and @craftyhopper for their recommendations.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

panel2.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
dchur
Building a Reputation

@MitchellMc thank you for your feedback, like most projects we left this to sit for a while but we're back at it.

We've taped up what one of the walls would look like below, with an example sized framed picture to demonstrate what would go there.

I think it looks good but keen to get eyes on it for any additional pointers/feedback. The moulding would be 31mm wide (you can see it on the floor) and the inner box for the picture frame's moulding is 11mm.

Bonus: you can see the round table that you helped us with in a previous thread featured here too ! 

9e609756-d244-43ed-b2b9-8410d7ae4c8b.jpegfbaa6418-f836-460f-9b5e-583e5ad612e1.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @dchur 

You can always try a test fit by fixing the panels with double sided tape to get a real good idea of what it will look like once attached. But from my perspective it looks very nice. The combination of 31mm and 11mm moulding should look just fine and not overpowering. Once you paint it, it will be even less pronounced.

Eric

dchur
Building a Reputation

Thanks @EricL .

I tend to agree that once it's up on the wall the impact from the "blue" will be diminished. We'll get it up there and update everyone with a picture to get thoughts/feedback, although once it's stuck, it ain't coming down! :laugh:

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @dchur 

I like it! Tho like @MitchellMc  The first layout looks a little busy, and makes the area feel smallish?

Less rectangles is more I think and the pics of the blue tape rectangles are a brilliant idea to get what a feel it would be like. It gives it more stylised feel to the room.

Dave

dchur
Building a Reputation

Thanks Dave.

Agreed, we've done the first wall and are glad we didn't do 3 boxes on the bottom but opted for one larger one, it makes it look longer and less 'busy'.

5d842f3d-fbed-4f23-a1bc-6a170ea6ff73.jpeg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @dchur 

That has come up so nice, and between you and @EricL  I am seriously considering redoing my hallway in that style!

It looks "classy stylish" Less is more really works.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @dchur 

Thank you very much for posting that update. It looks absolutely gorgeous and very classy. I suspect that in the morning sunlight this wall looks totally different as well.

Again, thanks for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

dchur
Building a Reputation

Thanks Eric, @MitchellMc and @Dave-1 !

Appreciate all the help in getting this done! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects