Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach decorative boards to single brick walls?

cconvoy
Just Starting Out

How to attach decorative boards to single brick walls?

Hi,

I am looking to build some accent walls in my house. The house has single brick on the internal walls. Do i need to drill and screw each piece in or would no more nails suffice?

similar projects attached

Colonial-Corners-after-1-2-600x398.jpgincorporate-wood-panels.jpegplants-on-slat-wall-the-shady-gal-writes.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach decorative boards to single brick walls?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @cconvoy. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing decorative boards.

Could you show us some pictures of your walls so our members have a better idea of what you're working with? They'd then be better placed to offer useful advice.

Provided there is some texture for the adhesive to attach to and if the boards are reasonably lightweight, then solely using adhesive would likely work. I'd recommend you do a test section by adhering one piece and waiting for the glue to cure. You can then check how well it has bonded to the surface. If it is difficult to remove, you're likely good to go, but mechanical fixing might be in order if the timber pulls off the wall with little force.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to attach decorative boards to single brick walls?

Good Afternoon @cconvoy 

How about mounting 2 or 3 horizontal or vertical (say 30mm thick at least) strips of timber to the brick wall as studs that you could attach the paneling to that you want so you are not drilling so many hole or glueing straightto brick?

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects