Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to bend timber into a quarter circle?

ronmcm
Finding My Feet

How to bend timber into a quarter circle?

How to bend a 250mm x 6mm half-round wood bead to a quarter circle. Will tas oak do if steamed pls?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to bend a 350mm long x 6mm wide hafl round wood bead to a quarter circle

Hi @ronmcm,

That sounds like a possibility and I'd suggest completing the bend with a few heating/steaming cycles. You'll likely need to construct a buck/form to bend the timber over and affix it onto until it dries and sets in position.

I'd recommend getting a container large enough to fit the timber in. Place a couple of solid blocks in there to raise the timber midway in the container. Fill the container with boiling water to just below midway. Place the timber on the blocks so it is out of the water and seal the container. Wait ten minutes and then remove the timber and place it onto your form and gently encourage it to take the quarter circle shape. Allow the timber to dry and then repeat the process until you achieve the desired form. 

Take exceptional care with the boiling water and ensure you are wearing appropriate PPE including a long-sleeved shirt and pants, enclosed footwear, rubber gloves and safety glasses.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ronmcm
Finding My Feet

Re: How to bend timber into a quarter circle?

Many thanks. That's exactly as I have done it to date except the steaming. My worry was that Tas oak being a hard timber may not bend so easily. I think pine would be easier, but can't find the shape in pine

... Ron

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to bend timber into a quarter circle?

You'd be correct that Pine would be much easier to bend @ronmcm. Although, by gradually bending the Tas Oak over a few different heats I'm fairly confident that you can get it to take the shape needed.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects