Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a coffered ceiling?

sach78
Getting Established

How to build a coffered ceiling?

I am looking to build a DIY Coffered ceiling. I am just a beginner in DIY projects. Is there a guide or a video by bunnings team showing how to build a Coffered ceiling. 

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a coffered ceiling?

Hello @sach78  

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building a coffered ceiling.

Creating a coffered ceiling is a worthwhile D.I.Y. project. It all depends on what you want it to look like. The easiest material to use would be MDF flat panels. Size and thickness are at your discretion. Just keep in mind that using very thick timber means that you'll need an extra hand when installing it on your ceiling. This project will need you to be precise with your cuts and your measurements spot on. I suggest making a plan on paper to avoid making any errors when you begin cutting your panels.

You'll need to have a circular saw and a brad nailer to cut and mount the panels to your ceiling. I suggest doing a smaller D.I.Y. project to familiarize yourself with their operation if you've not handled these tools before. Once you've gained confidence in using these tools, you'll be able to tackle more challenging D.I.Y. projects.

Here is a video of a coffered ceiling assembly:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sach78
Getting Established

Thanks @EricL for helpful tips. I agree with your comment regarding starting small and get familiarised first before taking on such a big job.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @sach78

I'm glad my suggestions helped. Please make sure to post an update once you begin your coffered ceiling project. I'm sure our members would be keen to see how you'll be tackling this project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects