Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a portable whiteboard?

SkitzO
Finding My Feet

How to build a portable whiteboard?

Hello

I’m looking at making a large whiteboard. It does not need to be magnetic or be wall mounted. I would like to make it portable.

I was looking at the Masonite Whitecote but am unsure if I would be able to wipe of the marker once drawn on.

Open to suggestions.

thank you

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a portable whiteboard?

Hello @SkitzO

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about how to build a portable whiteboard.

I've actually had a colleague at the store test the 1220 x 915mm 3.2mm Masonite Whitecote to see if the whiteboard marker comes off. She did say that it comes off, but smudges were left behind. I recommend instead using 3mm Composite Panel White / Black Aluminium. It is an aluminium composite panel with gloss white one side/gloss black one side. It is ideal for use as a whiteboard.

You mentioned that you wanted it portable. Did you have a particular size in mind? Did you want it self standing? If you can provide me with this information I'll be able to draw you up a design that will satisfy your needs. If you need other features added to the design, please make sure to add it to your next post.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please don't hesitate to post them.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @EricL,

Thank you for the insight.
In response to your questions I would like to build a floor whiteboard so it can be used in a classroom as a group task. Ideally I would like it to fold out, like a concertina possibly, and fold back up easily with a handle (maybe 2) so it can be carried to another classroom with ease. It would have to be a somewhat decent size for multiple students to sit around. Maybe 1.8m-2.6m depending on the sizes of the panels. 

Thank you again for your help. :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @SkitzO

Were you thinking of having it in an "A" frame type system? When you say concertina, were you referring to the full height of the board? The panels are 1220mm x 2440mm so having them joined together would be huge and heavy that's why I was asking about the "A" frame layout. I've placed a sketch below, if it's not what you're after, would it be possible for you to post a photo or sketch of what you had in mind?

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects