Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build an air conditioner cover?

laurenf
Just Starting Out

How to build an air conditioner cover?

I would like an air con cover for my unit that sits in my courtyard. 
I have seen a number of ready made ones but unfortunately none of them fit the measurements of the unit. 
Has anyone got any brilliant ideas on other items that could be used as an aircon cover, something that perhaps has some ventilation and is ready made - before I try to dive in and built one from scratch. 

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Alternative for airconditioner cover

Hi  @laurenf   Merry xmas and soon to be New Year

Do you have any  air con dimensions you can share and also the air gap from the unit to the wall.  Thanks.

Hi @laurenf,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome you have joined us and have asked about some inspiration and guides for covering your aircon unit. @Jewelleryrescue has asked a great question as we will be able to start thinking of some creative pre-made options. Would you mind uploading a photo of where it is located to also assist? 

If you are open to creating something of your own, check out these great projects screening an air-conditioning condenser by @homeinmelbournebackyard makeover by @lifestylebymari and custom air conditioner cover and BBQ stand by @DoSimpleBetter. I am sure any of these great members would be more than happy to help you on that journey and our resident DIY expert @MitchellMc can help with the materials and specs that you would need to create one, he will be back online tomorrow.

Excited to see how your project progresses! Keep us updated with photos. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @laurenf,

Please remember that it's essential to follow the manufacturer's guidelines on what covers can be placed over the airconditioner's exterior unit. Most manufacturers require a minimum distance of unobstructed air gap between walls and items. 

Personally, I haven't seen any premade covers, so you'd likely have to build something yourself. I see @KatireC has provided some excellent links for your reference.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects