Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build outdoor plantation shutters?

clinda1
Finding My Feet

How to build outdoor plantation shutters?

E0DC8F54-3FEA-4855-920C-0250436E5515.jpeg

5FF31557-B75C-4145-8E17-B9C531D138A3.jpeg

  

0077D7E1-C486-45A2-925D-026BEF1B6BA1.jpeg

  

Hi team 

im in the process of building outdoor shutters I have put the frame up and pre-cut each shutter just stuck on how I can attach the in so when they turn they can turn all turn at the same time like a plantation shutter.

88D7AA46-5A9E-4563-A340-CCD76ED60751.jpeg

D0D57D88-B443-424B-9746-1D60433A8A90.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: outdoor shuuters

Wow, this sounds like a really awesome project, @clinda1! So, you're making your own plantation shutters? Are you following any plans?

On commercially made units, I believe that the shutters would either be wider or thinner than the timber you're using. This gives them the ability to overlap with the shutter above and below. The timber you are using will work, but they might need to be placed closer together to get that overlap happening.

The easiest method I can think of for getting them to operate simultaneously would be drilling a hole in the back corner of each shutter blade. A cord can then be run between all the shutters. Two knots need to be placed in the cord per shutter blade. A knot above the blade and one below it. This, I believe, would mean that the top and bottom louvres could be used to open and close all of them.

Let me know what you think.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I was going to use these adjustable plantation shutter levers to hold each louvre in place 

835AA7AD-D8D4-4358-B201-496E3D500180.jpeg

 it’s just the mechanics of making them turning together and stay in place 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@clinda1,

Were you able to get the mechanism connecting the louvres from the same place where you got the adjustable plantation shutter levers? Manufactured shutters most commonly use a tilt rod system where each louvre is connected to a rod. Alternatively, you might have some luck looking for a hidden control arm. These seem to be regularly used on D.I.Y. shutters.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

nah no luck with that, 

i was going to use 1 shutter lever 1 side and a wooden dowel on the other side , to make it tight , but as i go up each louvres  i will alternate the dowel and put a  small wooden tilt rob behind for support. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects