Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cement between pavers to prevent weeds?

Pcan
Growing in Experience

How to cement between pavers to prevent weeds?

I have this space in front of the house that has no practical use. I kept those stones to paint them in different colours as decoration. Didn't get to do it. Now the grass and weeds are a menace. I want to:

(a) fill the cracks with some cement. Could you suggest what I can put in between the slabs to prevent growth?

(b) what is the grass and what herbicide is best for it.

(c) any low-maintenance ideas to beautify the place.  20240209_114025.jpg20240209_114045.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Cement for cracks to prevent weeds

Hi @Pcan 

Your rocks etc have pretty large gaps for  weeds to  grow.  I think this will be a  never ending chore for you. To Stop the weeds  consider changimg that area to a  pebble garden simple  add some plastic garden edging against the walls to  form a  box just lay  black plastic down once the weeds dead with zero weed,  cover it with black  plastic and  pour in some lovly colored stones and transform that  area.

Now stones will still occationally grow weeds.   

So  consider filing that garden  edging  with concrete instead as an option.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cement for cracks to prevent weeds

Hi @Pcan,

It's probably best to hand weed this area and pull out the grass. The grass is likely the same as your lawn or other species where the seeds have been bought in on the wind. Yearly spraying with a path weeder will inhibit their return. You could use cement between the paving instead of sand, which will help prevent the weeds from emerging there. 

Some great ideas from @Jewelleryrescue there, and converting the area to pebbles could look great. What about some timber screening between the post and the house or decorative panels? Installing some garden edging would be a great way to exclude the grass from the driveway and undercover area.

You might like to check out this article: Top 10 most popular front yard projects.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects