Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to check old doorbell voltage?

carpedion
Cultivating a Following

How to check old doorbell voltage?

I bought an Aqara G4 video doorbell which can be wired into my home. 

I would ideally like to power it using the wires from my old doorbell (see photo below). 

According to the new video doorbell instructions: 

"An external power supply of 12V-24V AC or 8V-24V DC is required"

"It can use both AC or DC - 8~24V AC O.2A / DC 0.5A @ 50/60Hz."

I want to test to see if the wires give sufficient power, before I get an electrician to wire it in. 

I watched this video on youtube re how to test a doorbell, so I am wondering if I can buy an Ozito multimeter to test this safely. 

IMG_9922-1.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Check Old Doorbell voltage

Hello @carpedion 

In this particular instance it's best to call in the electrician. In either instance only the electrician can remedy the situation if the power coming out of those wires is not sufficient, and only the electrician can install the appliance properly so that it is covered under warranty. I recommend not testing it to keep yourself safe.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to check old doorbell voltage?

@carpedion you can look to see where the doorbell voltage is coming from. Is there a power pack supplying 12vdc say ? If you think it is try the doorbell it works, turn the power pack off and does the doorbell stop?

Walla you have found the source of the power and the voltage it is running at. You can confirm this with a multimeter but remember you will only have say negative or positive at the button not both.

If there is 230v on that figure 8 then the Electrical Safety Office should be called it is highly illegal.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to check old doorbell voltage?

Hi @carpedion,

What sort of door-bell was that switch running?

Back in the day, there would have been a bell transformer mounted on the switchboard somewhere, or it could have been part of the signalling unit above the inside of the front door.

These typically used either 12 or 24 Volts AC, but bear in mind that if there is a signalling unit, there will more than likely be 230V fed into that box before it is stepped down to 12 or 24V via a small transformer and the switch at the door merely closes a contact that makes the signalling unit (usually a bell or buzzer) operate.

To be honest, I would get an Electrician to have a gander at this, the transformer could be up in the roof, it could be in the back of the switchboard which is not somewhere you want to go.

At least then the Electrician will have an idea of what they are getting into.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects