Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to choose vacuum cleaner for drywall sander tool?

Nanne
Cultivating a Following

How to choose vacuum cleaner for drywall sander tool?

Which vacuum cleaner would work best to attach into drywall sander tool? I have Ozito 1250W and perhaps this has not enough suction power?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Vacuum Cleaner for drywall sander tool

Hi @Nanne,

1200w is around the standard for a bucket vacuum and I believe it would be capable of the job you need it to do. If you already have it then I'd be inclined to give it a go before you go purchasing another vacuum. have you already tried and it's not powerful enough?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nanne
Cultivating a Following

Thank you MitchellMc

I am not sure whether it is the vacuum cleaner or sanding disc grit is too soft. When I remove the sanding disc, there is plenty of dust from the plasterboard to shake off. I am using 220 grit and trying to get the wall as smooth as possible (level 4) before painting. I skim coated the walls due uneven surface. 

Hi @Nanne

Vacuum lost sucking efficency. ?  

Try checking your vacuum filters all of them as some have ultra fine HEPA filters  too.  as that dry wall dust is very fine and will quickly clog up any fine filters.

Take filters out and try blowing air through them in reverse Outside possibly and or tapping filters on a bin egde and or using a dust  pan brush stroking the filter material.

You may need to repeat this every 15 minites or so  running the vacuum. 

Sometimes I spend more time cleaning filters  the vacuuming.

Nanne
Cultivating a Following

Hey :), the vacuum cleaner I have is Ozito https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-1250w-12l-stainless-wet-and-dry-vacuum_p6290589 and it does not have HEPA filter.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Are there holes in the sanding pad to allow the dust to be sucked through the pad, into the machine and then into the vacuum @Nanne?

Mitchell

Nanne
Cultivating a Following

Yes, the sanding disc holes are matching the drywall sander head part. The dust is behind the sanding disc and when taking the sanding disc off , plenty of dust around the head part.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

With the sander turned off, but the vacuum on, if you place your fingers over the holes in the sanding pad, you can feel the suction @Nanne? If so, you might have jumped to a too fine grit sanding pad, and there's too much plaster to remove for it. You could try going back down to 180-grit to remove any unevenness of the wall before returning back to 220 to finish off.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects