Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean patina from copper / brass door handles?

colinweiren
Getting Established

How to clean patina from copper / brass door handles?

Hi guys

Just wondering how to remove patina rust from copper / brass door handles without removing them? ( please see the attached photos)

Also what’s the best cleaning product to use? And how to prevent future rust?

Thanks

Colin

BA5E2A0F-3678-416D-8CAA-0061796384D0.jpeg

C3EDB741-F633-4D19-9EA6-B40563D48BFF.jpeg

JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Re: How to clean patina from copper / brass door handles?

Hi @colinweiren,

I'd be looking at using something like the Rocket Wet and Dry Sanding Sheets to gently remove the corrosion. If you are unable to remove the hardware, it would likely be beneficial for you to tape off the timber to prevent any damage to it's finish. I'd use something along the lines of Paint Partner 24mm-x-27m Thick Masking Tape 6 Pack to mask off the area.

Once all the corrosion is removed, you can apply Dulux 300g Metalshield Brass and Copper Enamel Clear Spray to protect it from future corrosion, being careful not to over spray on to the door. Ideally you would remove the handles for this step, but if this is not possible, taking care and masking off the surrounding areas should be fine.

Hope this helps,

Jacob

Thanks @JacobZ95 for your reply and great advice.

Is there any chemical I should use before sanding?  Or maybe a solution that dissolves the corrosion or makes it come off easier?

I just feel there are some areas difficult to reach with sandpaper

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @colinweiren 

A traditional solution to clean copper and brass pieces is salt and vinegar. However, I suggest removing your doorknobs and doing the cleaning in the laundry tub as the solution could stain your doors and floor. I recommend using a Mr Clean Power Scrub Scourers

Place the doorknob in the laundry tub and sprinkle some fine salt on its surface. Get the green scourer and put some cleaning vinegar on it and start scrubbing the surface. Keep adding the solution for stubborn spots. Rinse in clean water once the doorknob has regained its finish.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as rubber gloves and goggles when cleaning your doorknob.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects