Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to convert casement window into an awning window?

splinters
Getting Established

How to convert casement window into an awning window?

My house has timber windows, the kitchen, bathroom and laundry are all awning open/hinged, the lounge and bedrooms are casement open/hinged.

I'd like to know if it's possible to convert the lounge and bedroom windows to awning (open out and up) with only upgrading the hardware (hinges, handles etc). If so, is it relatively straightforward?

Does anyone have experience with such a project?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Window Conversion - Casement to Awning

Hi @splinters 

Thanks for sharing your question about converting your casement window into an awning type window. Since your window frame is made of timber, it might be possible to convert it. Can I please request for a few photos of the windows you're planning to convert. This will give our members a chance to assess how they are built. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
splinters
Getting Established

Hopefully these sre helpful 1000013121.jpg

1000013123.jpg

Hop1000013124.jpg

That sounds entirely possible @splinters using Whitco Galvanised Steel Hook Hinges. Depending on the tolerance surrounding the window frame, you might need to trim it slightly to suit the new hinge arrangement. 

The process is relatively straightforward and only involves removing the existing hardware and installing the new hinges at the top of the frame. You'll then need to install a casement stay. Since you'd be working with glass, if you have any concerns, I'd recommend you consider employing the services of a professional to complete the work. If you complete this work yourself, wear appropriate PPE, including safety glass, gloves, a long-sleeved shirt, pants and enclosed footwear.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hey MitchellMc

Cheers for the reply mate. The intention of converting the windows is so we can easily install winders and fly screens first, then followed by external roller shutters.

Given the Whitco winders will be used, is the casement stay really required? 

No, you don't need both a stay and winder @splinters.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects