Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover nail heads on cement sheet ceiling?

Flash66
Getting Established

How to cover nail heads on cement sheet ceiling?

Hi I am doing a Reno on tight budget and my problem is the house has a fibre cement sheet ceiling. It's in good condition but the joints and nail heads are visible. Do I gyprock over the top or can I cover the joints with either a thick paint or is there a jointing compound that will cover over the joints and the ceiling is painted. I don't want to remove the sheets as they may contain asbestos I'm not sure what to do.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cement sheet ceiling

Hi @Flash66,

Whether the sheets are asbestos or not will dictate your approach. So, I recommend you get them tested so you know what you are working with. For a NATA Testing Lab List call 1800 621 666 or refer to their website at www.nata.com.au. Not disturbing the sheeting and installing plaster sheets over the top could be a way to go about it. There is jointing compound for cement sheeting, but this is typically applied directly to the cement and not over a painted surface. If the wall has been painted, you might like to use a flexible sealer to fill the gaps prior to painting. 

The nail heads might need to be tapped down before filling over them. However, as mentioned, if these are asbestos sheets, I wouldn't recommend disturbing them.

Please take care when dealing with the possibility of asbestos. Here's a Best Advice article on Where you might find asbestos in your home.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects